Can I Move A Meter & Fusebox If Nothing Is To Disconnect

As for protection, this has tripped out a couple of times in the past but equally the fuse wire (5amp lights) has also popped a couple of times without this tripping.

Sponsored Links
It certainly looks like an obsolete ELCB. There should be two earth cables connected to this. One will go to the fuseboard, the other should go to an earth rod - located outside.

Before you go any further you should get a competent electrician in to do a report on the installation. I will expect that you need all of the earths and bonding bringing up to scratch. You'll need to replace the ELCB with something that works -probably a new consumer unit.

It looks like it could possibly be an early current opperated RCD, using an VOELCB module with the frame and earth connections connected to either end of the secondary of a current transformer surrounding L+N, its difficult to say for sure with covers in place, but it certainly looks big enough, and I see no earth wires entering the enclosure...

But I'd still consider it obsolete, not sure what the tripping current would be but its unlikely to be 30ma, you bonding is unlikely to be upto scratch, etc, best have a PIR done I reckon before you start trying to do anything

Thanks guys, I suppose that this is as good a time as any to get this all looked at by a pro, hopefully he/she will at least point me in the right direction and maybe give me an idea of what I can be getting on with until the point I need them to take care of the work needed.

In the past (10 years plus) I have wired up rooms, added sockets and changed a consumer unit myself leaving the sockets etc unscrewed so that a pro can come and check it all over to confirm its ok.

I realsise those days are all but gone but is there a certain amount of running cables and putting a CU in place that I can do before handing it over to be fininshed or does all installation have to be done by the hand of a pro?

Sponsored Links
It looks like it could possibly be an early current opperated RCD, using an VOELCB module with the frame and earth connections connected to either end of the secondary of a current transformer surrounding L+N, its difficult to say for sure with covers in place, but it certainly looks big enough, and I see no earth wires entering the enclosure...

I seem to remember that those bigger units are current operated. IIRC Lectrician has a photo of one with it's cover off.

3470752405_b1c4495d84.jpg

Yep.... current operated!

The wall everything is on will be going so the whole lot will dangle loose (secured in someway if needed)
No.

is there a certain amount of running cables and putting a CU in place that I can do before handing it over to be fininshed or does all installation have to be done by the hand of a pro?
You have to agree with your electrician how much of the work you can do yourself.

Making a start and then expecting someone to come in and take responsibility for it won't work.

You also need to ensure that you do what you said you'd do on your application for Building Regulations approval regarding compliance with Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back