can I place a door knob on middle rail of a door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in a DIY forum as I cant seem to find an answer to my question anywhere..!

Im toward the end of a project covering an understairs gap to create a cupboard.. All has gone well so far. Im at the point of putting a door on the frame I made.

I made the frame smaller than a normal door as it made sense with the size of everything.. This meant when coming up for a solution for a door I decided to cut down a normal 6 panel room door. so now I have the top half of said door all cut down and in situ in my door frame.

we went out and bought a knob and mortice for the door but didnt think about how I'd cut it down. This mens the knob would have to be on the middle rail of the door .

So back to my question will this work?? or will the door fall to pieces when I drill the holes?

Sponsored Links
You could just fit a ball catch? A mortice latch should be ok but a mortice lock is not ideal, depends on quality of door.

its just a catch ive bought.. doesnt need to lock. The door was reduced to clear so not sure on quality.

what is the door made of; and are you using a tubular latch?

if it is not a mortice and tenon door, or you are not fitting a large mortice lock, it will not matter.

Sponsored Links
solid or hollow?

can you post a pic of the face and the edge of the door?

a tubular latch won't hurt as it takes so liitle timber out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back