Can I plug an electric hob in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to purchase a Electric Hob can i just plug this into a wall socket, i currently have a double Electric cooker that is plugged into a wall socket is this ok or do i need a electric engineer to fit this differently.

Sponsored Links
it's very very doubtful that you have a "double electric cooker" plugged into a socket.. an oven maybe.. but not a hob.. no way... unless it's a 2 ring hob on it's own..

and no you can't plug an electric hob into a wall socket..

a hob on average takes about 7-8KW.. which is somewhere in the region of 30-35A.. your plug is rated at 13A..

you need a part P registered sparky to put it in for you..

you CAN diy, but then you get into long winded conversations on here about Part-P and telling your LABC and cable routes etc etc..

so since you don't seem to know much about electric besides the fact it comes out of those 3 little holes on the wall, then your best bet is as above, a part P registered sparky..

Now, call me Mr Picky, but coming on an Electrics forum and then picking the subject of your topic as "Electrics" does make me despair....

Sponsored Links
There are hobs designed to be plugged in. The baby belling being a well know one. And there are some two ring induction hobs I have seen.

But in the main they need more than the 3Kw available at a socket and therefore need hard wiring.

Gas hobs will often plug in for the ignition function and I have seen where in error gas have been replaced with electric and plugged in.

The reason I have seen them is they blow fuses and an electrician has been called out. Clearly it did not work.

it's very very doubtful that you have a "double electric cooker" plugged into a socket.. an oven maybe.. but not a hob.. no way... unless it's a 2 ring hob on it's own..

and no you can't plug an electric hob into a wall socket..

a hob on average takes about 7-8KW.. which is somewhere in the region of 30-35A.. your plug is rated at 13A..

you need a part P registered sparky to put it in for you..

you CAN diy, but then you get into long winded conversations on here about Part-P and telling your LABC and cable routes etc etc..

so since you don't seem to know much about electric besides the fact it comes out of those 3 little holes on the wall, then your best bet is as above, a part P registered sparky..
Thanks for the info i will get a professional to do the job

There are hobs designed to be plugged in. The baby belling being a well know one. And there are some two ring induction hobs I have seen.

baby belling are portable cookers.. 2 rings and an oven / grill.. they plug in but you can't use the grill / oven and the rings at the same time..

didn't know about the baby belling induction hob though.. just what I'm after..
my kitchen was dismantled for re-wiring and plastering.. it's set up in the spare room, and while the combi micro is great for baking and grilling and such, I do miss my sausages and stirfrys...
oh and it's been 2 years since I took my kitchen apart... :rolleyes:

no, has a ceramic hob according to the website..
got a fridge though.. might be a good idea for a site hut though..

I do miss my sausages and stirfrys...
Camping_Gas_Stove.jpg

ah but that takes effort.. I have to go and buy cartridges for it.. I already have a gas hob, just no where to connect it yet..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back