Can I put a shower RCD switch here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Noticed my shower is only connected to an MCB and has no RCD protection. The small electric cupboard in the living room is really tightly packed and can't see any room to add an RCD switch.

The cable runs through the loft, can I put an RCD switch high above the bathroom door on the landing?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
show us a picture of the MCB and its enclosure. The maker's name and identification numbers are important.

Yes shower is plastic, does it not need an RCD?

Attachments

• IMG_20160409_110629689.jpg
    IMG_20160409_110629689.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 628
Sponsored Links
The large "switch" on the left of your consumer unit is an RCD. Press the yellow test button. Does the shower lose power?

Sector is (was?) a brand name used by Electrium, if necessary, replacement parts to fit might be available. I was at first thinking of an RCBO, but if your RCD works, you don't need one.

The large switch on the left is the main switch, I hit test and the whole house goes off! Does that mean everything is RCD protected? The missus will be very happy to know she won't die in the shower :)

Yes.

Observe the silver instruction label on the lid. Test it quarterly. Neglected RCDs are more likely to jam.

Yes shower is plastic, does it not need an RCD?
Not really.

Appliances do not need RCD protection.

Requirements of an RCD in (correct) manufacturer's instructions say the shower circuit must be protected by an RCD. This is a standard instruction because:
we have an electrical regulation stating that all circuits to a bathroom, and the like, shall be protected by an RCD.

Some electric showers do have a metal hose connected to the metal heating can which is not a good idea but it would be much simpler to change to a plastic hose.

Just seen later post so all is well.

manufacturer's instructions say the shower circuit must be protected by an RCD. This is a standard instruction because:
we have an electrical regulation stating that all circuits to a bathroom, and the like, shall be protected by an RCD.
Manufacturers' instructions for electric showers have insisted upon RCD protection for the shower many years before BS7671 required it for all circuits within a bathroom.

An electric shower should never ever be installed without RCD protection.

Ok, They may have misworded the instruction and not mentioned circuit, but the shower itself doesn't need one.

Do any other appliances require an RCD in their own right?

An electric shower should never ever be installed without RCD protection.
That would be the general belief but, actually, what good does the RCD do for a person with respect to the shower itself?

RCD's can prevent you getting a fatal shock, in the event of an electrical fault developing within the shower circuit or the shower itself, by tripping out the power supply.

RCD's can prevent you getting a fatal shock, in the event of an electrical fault developing within the shower circuit or the shower itself, by tripping out the power supply.
Yes, I know how it works.

Would the OPD not clear this fault?
How would one come into contact with this shock?

How would one come into contact with this shock?
Possibility for water leaking inside, running over live parts giving the potential for a wet body touching it.

There's no point us discussing again the chances of electricity transiting water etc, we've done that a hundred times.
The essential point is the MI of all showers and shower pumps I have seen for many years mandates the provision of an RCD.
BS7671 mandates adherence to the MIs.

Some electric showers do have a metal hose connected to the metal heating can which is not a good idea
Usually (always?) there's no direct connection to the can, it's a nylon threaded connector.

And metal hoses are a BGI - they look so much better than plastic ones.

but it would be much simpler to change to a plastic hose.
Naff City, here we come.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back