Can I put a wooden roof on a concrete sectional garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Typical concrete sectional garage with a tin corrugated roof. I'd like to replace it with a pent wooden roof (rafters every 60cm going width ways then OSB board and felt).

A generally heavier roof, would there be any issues with this?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Typical concrete sectional garage with a tin corrugated roof. I'd like to replace it with a pent wooden roof (rafters every 60cm going width ways then OSB board and felt).

A generally heavier roof, would there be any issues with this?

thanks
Are the steel purlins and their fixings ok?

So I had to look up what a purlin was :/ I was planning on removing the entire current roofing structure. The rafters would span the 250cm width. I was just going to add some wood the one side to give it some lift to ensure adequate fall on the pent roof

So I had to look up what a purlin was :/ I was planning on removing the entire current roofing structure.
Why a pent roof? Why not just go for a flattie with furrings? Are there not built-in falls on the garage structure?

Bolt a timber plate around the inside top edge of the garage. Drop some say 150mm x 50mm joists @ 400mm c/c across and secure to the timber plate with truss clips.

Sponsored Links
Why a pent roof? Why not just go for a flattie with furrings? Are there not built-in falls on the garage structure?

Bolt a timber plate around the inside top edge of the garage. Drop some say 150mm x 50mm joists @ 400mm c/c across and secure to the timber plate with truss clips.
This is what I did with my sectional concrete garage and it worked perfectly

Because I don't rightly know what a furring is :giggle: I'm trying to keep it simple, I've done a shed pent roof before and I know it won't leak. The concrete sections are all 2M tall so I'll need to add something the one side, plus I'll have a tad more headroom than I do now.

150mm X 50mm joists - thanks now I know what size to get now :giggle:

Because I don't rightly know what a furring is :giggle: I'm trying to keep it simple, I've done a shed pent roof before and I know it won't leak. The concrete sections are all 2M tall so I'll need to add something the one side, plus I'll have a tad more headroom than I do now.

150mm X 50mm joists - thanks now I know what size to get now :giggle:
How do you deal with the vertical exposed timber up-stand and how do you secure it?

Surely a flattie with furrings will look better externally? Fix another 50mm timber to the bolted plate, but laid flat so that it rests on the garage wall as well as fixed to the plate. This would give you another 50mm...?

I like a nice pent roof and you just need some felt and nails so an idiot like me can't mess up. You are tempting me with a flat roof but I'm sure it would leak!

I hadn't though about the exposed timber I guess some external wood paint :unsure: It will be bolted to the concrete panels with some plates and the holes already there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back