Sectional Concrete Garage roof replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, have posted similar post in roofing but thought I might get some replys in here.

Have a sectional concrete panel garage, with concrete purlins to support a roof.

I have carefully removed the possibly asbestos corrugated roofing panels (that were badly leaking)

I had tryed a sort of horrible DIY nightmare fix of attaching corrugated bitumen panels to the purlns, which after the first sunny day went soft, deformed, and then started blowing down in the wind.

So whats a reasonably cheap/easy way to roof a garage like this?

I had though about OSB with hammer in fixings to the purlins then just felt over it?

Sponsored Links
I used plastic coated corrugated steel on mine....the sort of stuff you see on supermarket roofs and so on. I was able to get it from a reclamation yard so it was cheap enough delivered.
It is prone to condensation though, so some sort of ceiling could be desirable.
As for the fixing, your original asbestos would have been secured with sky hooks I would imagine.....hammer fixings aren't good for concrete beams as they are steel reinforced and hard as hell so either use sky hooks again or consider using timber rafters alongside the existing beams.
The corrugated bitumen sheets you have experimented with need close supporting beams to support sag - if you provide this they are a reasonable, cheap alternative.
John :)

Same but different? Look up 'Fibre Cement roofing', it's essentially the same product but without the Asbestos. ;)

Sponsored Links
With such a low slope, OSB will bend and water will pool in it. if you still have any of your corrugated sheets left I wonder if you laid the on P5 18mm flooring boards , you could reuse them. The trouble is its a big span with out any noggins and its almost flat.
Without any dimensions its hard to make that much out of it.
One interesting point is your purlins, are they absolutely parallel sided? Normally a concrete casting would have a slight "draw" (taper on them. If the narrow bits at the top, then I have an idea for you, if they are parallel or the wide part is on the top , no go. If they are narrow on the top, then if you cut bits of wood to the right shape then they will drop in from the top but not fall through. Or you could glue them in with epoxy putty, it works very well with clean concrete. Now you can put in noggins between the purlins to reduce to unsupported width to 3" or less, so that should help with your flimsy material.
Sky hooks, use a couple of lengths of stainless steel studding with a piece of metal to bridge a purlin, use a washer cut from some plastic flooring with a "penny" washer and a nut on top. tighten up a nut on each stud underneath to secure.
There are sites about that sell secondhand/unwanted roofing. There is some marvelous stuff about. I bought some made by "Corus" 10 years ago - it does not feature on their web site anymore. Its two sheets of galvanised steel with 3" of foam between them, the outsides are clad in coloured PVC, go into any B&Q/Home base that is what you see when you look up. The top surface with mine was a high ridge every 300mm (2"), through which you used 8" long screws into the purlins. My stuff was 1m X 4m in light green. Its a bit OOT for a garage, but if the price is right. . . It needs fixing every 1m on to its purlins (what is your gap?).
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back