Can I put Fernox in towel rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add some Fernox into my central heating system. I have an unvented system. The easiest way to get this in the system would seem to be in the top of the towel rail in the bathroom as you can screw out the the valve where you bleed it leaving a sufficiently big hole to pour the fernox in, without any water pouring out all over the place. The other main radiators all have bleed valves on the side and have smaller valves so it would be difficult to get it in there. My only concern is that the towel rails heat up when the the hot water is selected on the timer, rather than the central heating. Does this mean that the towel rails are connected to the domestic hot water supply? I don't want to end up putting fernox in, only for it to come out of the hot water taps.

Sponsored Links
You should be OK. The towel rail should be on the h/w tank heating coil circuit, not the domestic supply pipes.

Personally I would double check when risking pouring fernox into potable water.

Drain some water off and see if the pressure goes down on the boiler.

Turn the heating on and see if at least the pipes to the towel rad get hot.

Follow the pipes back and if they lead to another rad then you are safe.

Theres some checks you can do.

Or simply turn your DHW on at the timer and see if the towel rail gets hot........................................ :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Personally I would double check when risking pouring fernox into potable water.

Drain some water off and see if the pressure goes down on the boiler.

Turn the heating on and see if at least the pipes to the towel rad get hot.

Follow the pipes back and if they lead to another rad then you are safe.

Theres some checks you can do.

I cant easily follow the pipes back as they are behind the walls or under the floors but if I drain some water off, the pressure on the boiler does go down. Does that mean I'm ok or not?

Or simply turn your DHW on at the timer and see if the towel rail gets hot........................................ :rolleyes:

That is the best idea. No need to turn a tap on.

this method is quite common, as it warms the towel rail even when the heating is off. I did it in my own house (a TRV saves wasteful energy use in warm weather)

But I already know the hot water timer heats the towel rail. That is why I asked the question initially. Have I misunderstood?

yes you have.

the water in the boiler mixes together and feeds the radiators and the coil in the cylinder. it does not mix with the tap water. but it will do no harm to bleed the towel rail and watch the boiler pressure drop. you can top it up afterwards.

yes I have done that. i turned the hot water on on the timer, the towel rail heated up. I then bled some water from the towel rail, and the pressure guage on the boiler dropped. Does that mean I'm ok?

larold,

Yes you are ok.

Back in the day, bathroom radiators used to be set up like this as an outlet for the excess hot water from the boiler when only the hot water was on and not the central heating.

Yours will just be a hangover from this.

Don't worry just go ahead and add your fernox.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back