Can I repair this fence post ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My back gate has a hinge missing from the bottom. It looks like someone (previous owner) has kicked it off ?! as there's a big chunk of wood missing out of the fence post. I wondered if it's possible to repair this fence post so I could attach a third hinge and make my gate more stable. The fence post disappears down underneath the decking so I don't want to replace it if possible.

I've attached a couple of pictures so you can see the damage.

Anyone any ideas how I could go about this?

Many thanks

John :D

Sponsored Links
You could add another (new) horiz. bar to the gate, then use that for the hinge position. Wont look great but it'd work

Good idea WabbitPoo (great username by the way! :LOL: )

I would rather something a bit 'neater' if possible.

Thanks for the idea though, I'll certainly bear it in mind if there's no other suggestions :D

Sponsored Links
RedHerring,

Thanks for the diagram. Do you mean that I should cut the hole on the corner bit of the post or right across the post ?

Thanks again for your help.

John :)

Merlin,

The photo was taken in my back garden. (i.e. I would go through the gate to get to the front of the house) so the hinges are on the right side.

;)

the diagonal brace should go upwards from the hinge to give the gate strength

Merlin is technically correct about the hinges or you could put it another way and say the braces are on the wrong way. Personally I'd also hinge it to the timber fixed to the wall as it won't move in the wind and stress the post.
Actually thinking about it that may be the easiest option rather than splicing the post - simply hang it the other side .

Merlin, Ladylola,

What a great idea!

I'll just take the gate off, flip it and re-attach it to the wall post.

Great stuff!

Many thanks for everyone's help

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back