Can I Replace a Failed Sealed Unit With Standard Sheet Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace the failed sealed units in my timber framed (John Carr) windows wiyh sheet glass. The sealed units I believe are about 20mm thick. So Will I have a problem finding glass of a similar thickness? Your advice as everwould be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
20mm glass will cost an absolute fortune, probably 10 times the cost of a new 20mm sealed unit which will have more thermal properties than a single piece of 20mm thick.

May i ask why you want to do this?

20mm glass will cost an absolute fortune, probably 10 times the cost of a new 20mm sealed unit which will have more thermal properties than a single piece of 20mm thick.

May i ask why you want to do this?

Simply I am looking for a Alternative solution as the sealed units I have had replaced are breaking down after about 20 months and I was hoping really to avoid future problems. I would of course like to replace the windows however I do not have the necessary money.

You just need a decent glass company who give you a good seal of the black rubber/tar stuff that seals the glass.

Sponsored Links
It's ok fitting them yourself if you fit them properly, a good sealed unit should last about 10 years. Did you sit it on blocks? Did you bed the external beads with butyl? Did you use butyl to bed the glass in? Butyl and putty look the same but have different purposes. Wooden frames probaly have no drainage and if water runs down the glass and into the bottom bead the unit sits in water and will break the seal on the unit

It's ok fitting them yourself if you fit them properly, a good sealed unit should last about 10 years. Did you sit it on blocks? Did you bed the external beads with butyl? Did you use butyl to bed the glass in? Butyl and putty look the same but have different purposes. Wooden frames probaly have no drainage and if water runs down the glass and into the bottom bead the unit sits in water and will break the seal on the unit

Thank you your wisdom is very much appreciated

Thank you your wisdom is very much appreciated

Well, he is God ;)

I'm only his assistant, his on Holliday and I'm using his account, but when his back im a glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back