Can I replace just the ceramic part of broken hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive smashed my Smeg ceramic hob, again. Is there a way of just replacing the glass or do I have to replace the whole hob? Seems very wasteful because it does still work

Thank you for your help :)

Sponsored Links
The ceramic glass will be stuck/sealed with a special silicone.
I know as I was stinking them in 30 years ago it is not an easy job, the chances are that the ceramic glass will not be sold alone.
The chances are you can buy a ceramic glass with trim. If you can it should be an easy job to replace it as long as the sensors below the ceramic were damaged.
Just noted you said 'again' so how did you deal with the first breakage.
Ceramic glass is tough stuff, how do you manage to break it?

Thank you for the reply!

Ive dropped pans on them twice, first time I just bought a new hob but it does seem a shame.

There is a drop test on ceramic, cant remember what it was but it was to simulate a dropped pan, it was a weight dropped from a specific height, alo just out of interest the hob is set for all rings on for a considerable time & then iced water poured on it. They don't fail.

Sponsored Links
Maybe it's time to consider a less vulnerable hob if this is the second time?

Maybe it's time to consider a less vulnerable hob if this is the second time?
Or contact the manufacturer and suggest that their hob seems rather fragile ? You never know, some "quality" manufacturers have been known to offer repairs outside of a warranty where they think it's in their best interest to do so (eg, to change "their hobs break easily" into "they have good support").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back