Can I replace my under cabinet lighting with these?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We are hoping to change our under cabinet lighting from fluorescent tubes in a run under the top units, to these. http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/00119419/

Currently it runs in a linked line from a fused socket and runs behind the back of the cooker splash back so I'd like to connect them using the current wiring.

Here's some pics to explain!! //www.diynot.com/network/mumshadenough/albums/19599

Sorry the pictures have randomly turned upside down!!

Does it look possible without having to remove the tiles?

Sponsored Links
It is not clear where the IKEA units get their power from. They may well have a plug in transformer, and this will not be an easy thing to engineer, as your existing lights are hardwired to the 230v supply.

Also, the interconnect between your existing lights are also 230volts. The interconnect n=between the IKEA lights will be 12volts - so changing them may be possible but impossible to say for sure without actually seeing what the existing wiring is, and how it has been hooked up.

DIODER kit is a standard 13A plug & a length of 2 core flex to an inline switch and then a hard-wired inline double insulated 240v AC to 12v DC power supply (approx. 8x5x2cm with screw holes for mounting). The flex then terminates at a 4 way socket block (approx. 3x3x1cm) that one or more of the plugs from the wired LED strips plug into.

You'd have to use the leads in the IKEA kit between each LED strip back to the 4 way socket block because they're terminated with little plugs that go into the strips. But you could remove the 13A plug (& inline switch if you want) and connect the flex on the 240v side of the transformer to the cable from your fused switch unit using a suitable connector or junction box. Or put a 13A socket under the cupboard on the wire from your FSU and just plug the unaltered IKEA kit into that.

EDIT: I see that it's not just the cable from the FSU that goes behind the tiles. You'd have to cut one of the LED interconnecting leads in half & find some way of connecting the thin wires to either end of the wire that runs behind the tiles above the cooker.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I think the best option would be to fit the 13a plug socket and plug the lights in underneath. Do you think that the existing cable might be suitable to do the same at the other side? I guess if they are the same type of cable there should be no reason why not??
Have just added a drawing of a possible solution to my images.
//www.diynot.com/network/mumshadenough/albums/19599/73286

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back