Can I reverse the complete system from this: (PIC)

er, thanks? I thought it might be useful to ask people who know what they are doing with DIY on a DIY website like this.

If I was a tradesperson looking to boost my income, I too would spend all Saturday trolling DIY websites telling NOOBS that they are a danger to themselves and everyone around. Sorry, but I won't be paying a bean to anyone unless I have to. I'm sure that the last boiler fitted to this house under the stairs wasn't fitted by a DIY'er, but it IS dangerous and appalling workmanship. I know for a fact the my DIY job is going to function perfectly without killing the cat. So if I can't get somebody to look at it and sign it off, then I hope that one of you money men are living next door to me when the wall comes off.
Shame on you.
Can you email me your address. It's just that I have some relatives who live in the area and I want to make sure that you aren't going to endanger their lives.

Unfortunately, you are giving us the impression that you are unable to take advice or criticism. That is worrying.

Sponsored Links
Watchit, the pros on here that advise "get a RGI in" do so for good reason, and that is not to earn money from it, safety is always paramount and as such we do not advise ayone to do work they have not been deemed competent so to do. Noone has a problem with advising you on the water side of your system and there would be a lot more money to made from that.

come on guys cut some slack. there is no problem with this diy'er installing his own boiler as long as he gets it commissiond by an oftec 101 technician an gets building control to pass it as its notifiable work.

Sponsored Links
Geez. It's an OIL boiler, not gas. So it's gotta be right, like electrics, but it doesn't have the legal bit covering it like gas has.
No need to jump down the guy's throat for asking questions :rolleyes:

I'd give the same advice as for gas though - get a local oil fitter to quote and ask if/or what parts of it you can do.

Many a boiler installer doesn't like putting rads in much though, so I can't see why you shouldn't do the wet stuff. TBH I can't make out enough from your drawing (looks like a sparky's plumbing drawing ;) ) to tell about the layout.
You get reversed circulation if you join the returns in together wrongly, but you can't get round it by just turning the pump round.
It would be well worth paying whoever's going to do the boiler, to advise you about the layout - at an agreed hourly "consultant's" rate.

Can you post a diagram showing only the heating circuit, including the connections to the cylinder coil. The presence of the hot and cold water pipes on the diagram you posted just confuses things. ;) :confused:

Don't you just love it how people throw their toys out of the pram when they don't get the advice they wanted to hear? I'm not an RGI or plumber, but it doesn't take a genius to see that if you're not even sure how to design a system correctly to prevent reverse circulation, how in the world do you expect to install and commission an oil boiler?

In response to your original question re circulation, as long as all the returns for each individual zone are joined together BEFORE joining the main return, then reverse circulation will not occur.

I wish I could find a heating engineer / plumber as consciencious as those on here - the registered engineer who installed a stop cock the wrong way round, left gas leaking from a badly fitted cooker bayonett and wired my immersion heater to a dissused 13 amp ring main socket should take a look at this site!

The pros on here are obviously concerned for your safety, although I also agree that there is no reason why you should not undertake the basic installation on the wet side provided of course you are sure what you are doing. Having said that and as a keen and competent DIYer myself I would be wary of installing that amount of kit. In the past I have used a friendly local plumber as a consultant who has worked alongside me and checked my work as we went. He was happy to sign off my work as he had supervised all of it, I was able to lift floorboards, chase walls and notch joists in his abscence and saved a fortune in labour costs. Result - job done at half price, in half the time and all above board, legal and safe. Am hoping to do the same again in my next renovation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back