Can I rip down joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning how to fit a large shower tray and glass block wall into a first floor bathroom with suspended floor. I want to know if i can rip the top of some floor joists down to accomodate the shower tray so that it is flush with the floor and still have enough strength in the joists to take the glass block wall.

The joists are recently fitted and 47x147mm@ 400mm centres.
The span of the joists is 1.8m from wall to wall.
The glass block wall will be perpendicular to the joists, approx 1/3 of the span from the edge and will weight approx 150kg per meter of glass block wall
I would like to rip about 35mm off the top of the joists between the glass block wall and further edge - 2/3 of the span.

Anyone got any idea if I can do this or am I mad thinking about it?

Sponsored Links
in general the maximum is 1/8th depth away from the end or middle
you can possibly go more if the joist is on a short span but you need calculations
you are going for 1/5th so no with out calculations

Basic answer is no the joists would deflect too much and are close to failing..
Better off sistering the joists with 100mm deep members bolting them together over the shower area..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back