Joist refit & levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First time posting. Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place! I am a little stumped on getting some new joists level/flat with the existing part of my living room floor. A few details to start:

- Suspended timber ground floor
- Replacing four joists on the end of my living room near bay window
- Joists are 47 x 95 mm
- Full span is 3.6 m span (at 400 mm centres).
- a sleeper wall splits the span to two 1.8 m lengths
- will be fitting chipboard then carpet overlay

As I am replacing only a few of the joists in the room, I was intending to re-use the brick pockets and just form a scabbed joint at the sleeper wall. I thought about joist hangers, but I wasn't sure how to get them to match the levels of the joists to remain.

However, after hanging a few, I noticed that the top of the sleeper wall is about 30 mm higher than the brick joist pockets in the main walls---presumably the house has settled over time more than the sleeper wall. Unfortunately, I can't shim up the joist ends as there is not much vertical clearance in the brick pockets (I had to use a mallet to get a joist in).

So my main question: is a mid-floor 'ridge' like this going to be an issue with the chipboard? I thought about making some wooden wedges to flatten the joist tops, but then tying into the existing joists to remain might be a problem... I can try to align a chipboard joint along the crown of the floor?

Thanks loads for your help. This project has been a HUGE learning curve for me. Sorry for the long post!

Evyx

Sponsored Links
if im reading this correctly why dont you just cut the bottom of the joists so they sit lower on the wall pate?

if im not plz post a pic or 3 so i get a better idea. ;)

Thanks Gregers

I thought about it, but wasn't sure if that would be a problem structurally (as the joists are only 2x4s really). Also, I would have a flat section of floor, tying into the existing floor, which still would have a crown! Not sure if that is possible...

Sponsored Links
cutting say 10-15 mm out of a joist isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of things if at all its that amount???

post some pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back