Timber floor joists instead of I-Joists -advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of having a first floor extension built above my double garage. The architect and structural engineers plans include the use of I-Joists spanning 4.8 metres spaced every 400mm. (The area being floored is 4.8 x 9 metres).

My builder however is not keen on using I-Joists because of the additional expense to me and the hassle in ordering them. He wants to use traditional wooden joists.

I am happy to go with what he decides but my question is :-

Can traditional joists span a length of 4.8 metres adequately - they will be hung at each end on joist hangers with no supporting walls between ends. I dont want to put them in only for the building inspector to complain !! I also do not want 'bouncy' floors when the build is complete !!

Advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
...The architect and structural engineers plans ...
so ask the architect if he agrees to the proposed change. If he does, ask if he will clear it with BCO. I expect he will charge for amending the plans.

If you make an unapproved change you have no warranty or BCO approval any more

I expect your builder is finding the thought of 'I' beams a bit scary. They are quite new after all - they've only been around for about 20 years.

Standard timber joists can span 4.8m OK but to achieve a fairly stable floor with little bounce you would need to go to something like 75x195mm or possibly even 220mm - which won't be cheap.

225 x 50mm joists at 400c/c with third span bracing may work, but as jeds has said - pricey.

At least with pre-fab 'I' beams you have a hollow substructure so no need for sparks or plumbers to drill and there is no need for additional sound suppressing insulation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back