can i run a light on my 32amp fuse?

Thanks for your good positive help and advice John Much Appreciated. I'll get an electrician to quote for the job :)
Many Thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
I can hear BAS screaming at his computer from here!
Indeed.

The interesting thing is that we've got the message across, and it has seemingly now been accepted by the OP, whilst being 'too polite'. I have to wonder whether, with 'the other approach', the OP would have heeded the 'advice' that was thrown at him (possibly in a bold enormous font, maybe even red)?

Kind Regards, John

Hi John, just read your reply. No I dont think you were being too polite, whilst the other chap was possibly a tad on the bold front!
Its like this... this forum is called diynot which means to me that its for people who perhaps dont have all the skills that other people have, so we share and help. Household electrics is my weakest area, thats why I asked the questions. You John helped me very much in a perfectly civil manner. I have many skills as a proffesional person and challenge myself with new tasks. I do not however take kindly to be treated like an idiot just because I dont have a qualification as an electrician. If the other responders were to engage in law, my particular field, I wonder how they would fare?.....
Thanks again Jonh

Tim

.... No I dont think you were being too polite, whilst the other chap was possibly a tad on the bold front!.... You John helped me very much in a perfectly civil manner. I have many skills as a proffesional person and challenge myself with new tasks. I do not however take kindly to be treated like an idiot just because I dont have a qualification as an electrician.
Thanks. However, you probably don't realise the context of my exchange with other 'forum regulars' that you have just seen. You may think that EFLI's comments were a little 'bold' but he is also a very 'polite' man, and his comments were extremely tame compared with what you might well have found yourself receiving from the recently-departed forum member we were talking about.

We (certainly I !) repeatedly told that person that, no matter how well-intentioned he was, his approach/style (often, aggressive, rude and/or condescending) to situations like this was, as well as being inappropriate, often going to be counter-productive, and I was making the point in my recent post that a polite and respectful approach is not only more acceptable, but it also quite likely to be more effective!
I have many skills as a proffesional person and challenge myself with new tasks. I do not however take kindly to be treated like an idiot just because I dont have a qualification as an electrician. If the other responders were to engage in law, my particular field, I wonder how they would fare?.....
I also have multiple professional qualifications and skills 'coming out of my eyeballs' but, like you, nearly all of them are in fields/disciplines about as remote from anything electrical as they could be. I therefore am very sympathetic to the fact that people can sometimes have knowledge, skills and experience which is not reflected by qualifications, and therefore attempt to 'judge people as I find them'....

In any relevant field (including 'electrics') I will sometimes suggest (I hope always 'politely') that what someone is proposing is probably not a very good idea and/or that their general level of knowledge and skills is such that they would be best advised to seek expert/professional help, but I do so on the basis of a judgement (as best as I can via this medium!) of their actual knowledge/skills/capabilities etc., regardless of their background and qualifications. This is, of course, just a comment about my personal approach - others will undoubtedly differ!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would like to point out that it was you who said you were not confident to do it the 'normal', and what I would consider, the 'proper' way.

Instead you proposed a method which is more complicated, especially for someone with a lack of knowledge, and with far more connections to get right compared with the just three if connecting to the light.

It is a DIY forum but that does not mean daft ideas are not daft ideas whoever proposes them.

What kind of light do you have in the bathroom?

Would you like to learn how lighting circuits are wired?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts
Yours could be different.

More
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back