Can I seal the cavity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1992 two bed semi and have recently had rats in the attic. The cavity in the roof is sealed at the back of the house with bricks (by the builders) but partly open at the front. Where it was part open I have put mesh in and covered it with expanding foam effectively sealing up the cavity. Is it ok to seal the cavity or should I now be drilling holes in the expanding foam? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
the cavity should be sealed at the top of all walls with a sock filled with insulatoin you can buy at a builders merchants. brig

Thanks for that, so presumably where I have blocked off the cavity at the top with wire mesh and then expanding foam this will do no harm?

Thanks for that, so presumably where I have blocked off the cavity at the top with wire mesh and then expanding foam this will do no harm?
aslong as the cavity is closed to stop the comdensatoin buidind up all is ok

Sponsored Links
i have never sealed the cavity (topside-pitched roof) because we allow the dritherm cavity insulation to continue up to meet the loft insulation at the wall-to-ceiling junction.

i have never sealed the cavity (topside-pitched roof) because we allow the dritherm cavity insulation to continue up to meet the loft insulation at the wall-to-ceiling junction.
the wall plate should be higher than the outer skin wall so as the foot of the common rafter can carry the soffit and the face board ,if your cavity insulatoin is not protected it will collect water under your roof coverings,you must use a plastic roof vent or ply detween your trada or trusses or rafters at least 450 run from the eaves, regards brig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back