Can I stand on my extensions tiled roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm assuming 'yes' but thought I'd ask just in case. I need to get out on the sloping tiled roof of our first floor extension to clean the gutter above it, and also run a cable around the external wall. Can i just climb out the window and do what I need to do?

Am only 12 stone so not a real fatty, just didnt want to end up going through the roof or damaging the tiles?

Sponsored Links
When we had a front extension with a sloping tiled roof, the window cleaner wouldn’t do our windows anymore - said he would crack the tiles if he walked on them. When I had some work done to the windows, the builder removed various tiles in certain places so that he could stand on the battens as he worked his way across, replacing them when he finished. Neither of those were fatties either.

depends on tile type. strictly speaking you should not be standing on the tiles.
some are more forgiving.. If you have an interlocking tile usually they will push up giving a foot hold...

Sponsored Links
Stand at the bottom of the tile where it laps onto the one below should be fine. The centre and the interlock are the weakest parts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back