Can I swap this double light switch to a single?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
466D69C1-E5B4-4F99-B8E8-DA43E2B147C9.jpeg
Hi I have a shed and this double switch currently switches an outside light and also an inside light on via the other.

I would like to swap the outside light to an always powered PIR with LUX and change to a single switch for the inside light.

Is this possible?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
View attachment 230833 Hi I have a shed and this double switch currently switches an outside light and also an inside light on via the other. .... I would like to swap the outside light to an always powered PIR with LUX and change to a single switch for the inside light.
I would suggest that you should seriously consider keeping the switch for the outside light 'as is' (normally left 'on') even if/when you change it to a PIR-operated one. In that way you will retain a way to disable it if/when you ever want or need to.

Kind Regards, John

I don't of course know which cable is for which light but basically this is what you're asking
upload_2021-4-18_0-58-59.png

This single gang switch will work but I'd suggest still having a switch [elsewhere?] so you can switch the PIR light off if you wish to or when it goes wrong.

The earth wires should be fitted with green/yellow sleeves.

SUNRAY said:
...This single gang switch will work but I'd suggest still having a switch [elsewhere?] so you can switch the PIR light off if you wish to or when it goes wrong.
Indeed - but, as I just wrote, unless the OP has a reason (not so far mentioned) for doing otherwise, would the simplest thing not to be to simply leave everything 'as is' (and just change the light to a PIR one)? ....
I would suggest that you should seriously consider keeping the switch for the outside light 'as is' (normally left 'on') even if/when you change it to a PIR-operated one. In that way you will retain a way to disable it if/when you ever want or need to.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed - but, as I just wrote, unless the OP has a reason (not so far mentioned) for doing otherwise, would the simplest thing not to be to simply leave everything 'as is' (and just change the light to a PIR one)? ....

Kind Regards, John
Yep you posted while I was prepping mine.
You are correct however in my experience it's very easy to accidently switch it off. It may be worth moving the wire to the other contact so up is on.

The better option is to install a DP switch elsewhere where it's not so easy to operate.

Yep you posted while I was prepping mine. You are correct however in my experience it's very easy to accidently switch it off. It may be worth moving the wire to the other contact so up is on.
Maybe, but I have a few such 'always on' switches and I haven't had much trouble with them being switched off accidentally. I suppose 'labelling' would be one answer, but that might not be aesthetically acceptable.
The better option is to install a DP switch elsewhere where it's not so easy to operate.
Sure, for the reason you mention, that would be more foolproof. However, I got the impression from what he wrote that the OP was thinking of having no switch at all, which is not something I would advise - hence my comment to him.

Kind Regards, John

Good morning gents and thanks for the input. It greatly appreciated.

I would rather not move the switch or label but prefer to have an always on arrangement and if for some reason the light did fail I would isolate and replace.

How could this be achieved?

many thanks

if for some reason the light did fail I would isolate and replace.

How could this be achieved?
By installing a switch!
Even if there were a separate method of switching off the lighting circuit to the shed you would then have no lights at all.

I did not want to install another switch.

I’m hoping to replace a double with a single switch and have the PIR set to live.

Is that possible?

Yes, it is possible. It is as described above in post #3!!

But -as you have been advised- if you do that you will be unable to isolate it without turning all power off.

I have seen so many PIR lights cause problems with being on all the time, false triggering, flashing all night, or get water in them causing house RCD to trip.
They do and will fail.

It’s your decision.

As Taylor has said, being able to fully isolate outside lamps is sensible.

As a Neutral to Earth fault in the lamp is likely to cause the RCD to trip even if the Live to the lamp has been switched OFF it is sensible to be able to fully isolate the lamp using a two pole switch that disconnects both Live and Neutral from the lamp..

Any damp in the lamp and the RCD is likely to operate and remove power from all the circuits protected by that RCD.

Thank you guys, I understand the potential issues and apologies I didn't see the changes that were made to the image in post no.3. I wish to change from the double to a single dimmer switch for the internal lights.

If down the line I do run into issues I will know where to go and revert back if required.

Thanks.

Thank you guys, I understand the potential issues and apologies I didn't see the changes that were made to the image in post no.3. I wish to change from the double to a single dimmer switch for the internal lights.
It would probably require you to use some sort of 'modular switches', but there's no reason why you could not replace your present double ('conventional') switch with one which had a dimmer and a conventional switch, both wired identically to your present situation, with the latter (just an 'on/off' switch, virtually always 'on') serving your outside light, which you will change to a PIR one.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back