Can I switch my oven in with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a glorified egg timer (Amazon Alexa) and this smart plug:
IMG_20200206_085646299.jpg

Can I use it to switch this oven on and off?
IMG_20200206_085625267.jpg

I would replace the switch with a socket, put a plug on the oven cable.
IMG_20200206_085639926.jpg

I don't care about the mess, the oven does have a timer but it's knackered, the kitchen is scrap and will be gone in months. My wife makes this wierd breakfast thing that needs half an hour in the oven in the morning and I don't want to get up!

Oven rating plate says 3.1kw.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With my mothers oven, switch it off and back on again it would not work until clock reset, so likely it will not work as it seems most oven need the clock setting or at least pressing the setting button before they will work.

Although 3.1 kW is over the rating for a 13A socket it will likely work OK. If the oven will switch on after a power cut, most will not.

I think you're right Eric, when I switch it off/on at the spur it won't come back on until I press the "manual/timer button".
Maybe I'll just try throwing Alexa at the button from the top of the stairs!

What happens if you press and hold the manual/timer button and switch it off and on? or does it require a on/off action?

I think you're right Eric, when I switch it off/on at the spur it won't come back on until I press the "manual/timer button".
Maybe I'll just try throwing Alexa at the button from the top of the stairs!

Sponsored Links
Yes, tried all permutations (I even thought I could tape the button on) but it won't have it, needs a distinct press - as per Eric it's clearly a safety feature. I'm just glad I posted on here first, saved me a lot of messing about - pulling oven out, hole through worktop for cable etc!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back