Can I tile over this.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a lean to type porch on the side of our house. when we bought the house, part of the wall was tiled but the OH wanted it painted. The tiles were well stuck to the render so I pva'd them and skimmed over. Bit of a bodge but it's been fine for about 10 years. The OH has now decided she wants the wall tiling again as she's fed up of it getting marked.

The tiles we've got are 300x100 and weigh about 15kg per sq. m. Could I tile straight over the plaster skim or is not likely to take the weight given that it was applied on top of tiles?

If it's unlikely to take the weight, what's my best option - strip the skim and prime the old tiles before tiling over? Alternatively, I was thinking of screwing 6mm backer boards to the wall to give me a new surface (I'd be limited to 6mm due to being tight for space near a door.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
it might or it might not?
for a professional, its typically strip all off back to brick - for a DIY'er you could chance either of your options?
given its only a small area in a porch then why not go the best practice route?

I did try stripping back to brick originally but they’ve been well stuck. It looked like the wall had been rendered and the tiles bedded into the wet render. Even my sds tile lifter wouldn’t shift the majority of them.

The old owner had done the same in the bathroom and it took me 3 days to strip the lot off. The render was so strong it was bringing the brick face off with it - god knows how much cement he’d used in his mix.

I’m inclined not to risk tiling over the plaster. Instead, i’ll mechanically fix backer boards through the old tiles into the brickwork and tile onto this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back