Can I use commercial downlights at home?

Sponsored Links
In the main down lights in an office have reflectors to ensure the distance and angle of the light will not cause problems for people viewing a computer screen. Typical at 2' x 2' square will have 4 x 18W tubes that's 72W of light. It could even be 40W per tube giving 160W of light. Even the small round type often have 2 x 22W CFU or a 28W 2D lamp. These are to me the traditional down lighter. And yes you can use at home.
I have seen many ways used to try and make a commercial lamp look right in the home. Some better than others. But if we look at the 2 foot square lamp use with many suspended ceilings these need room above them to be able to remove for maintenance so I would think to fit them you would lose around one foot of ceiling height. For many houses this would present a problem.

In the main down lights in an office have reflectors to ensure the distance and angle of the light will not cause problems for people viewing a computer screen. Typical at 2' x 2' square will have 4 x 18W tubes that's 72W of light. It could even be 40W per tube giving 160W of light. Even the small round type often have 2 x 22W CFU or a 28W 2D lamp. These are to me the traditional down lighter. And yes you can use at home.
I have seen many ways used to try and make a commercial lamp look right in the home. Some better than others. But if we look at the 2 foot square lamp use with many suspended ceilings these need room above them to be able to remove for maintenance so I would think to fit them you would lose around one foot of ceiling height. For many houses this would present a problem.

Ta..

Do you need any special... eg "1 foot space" or "special connections" or "fire hood" for something like this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/1-x-26w-h...KW8CTpYLKDqTTcyY5CQkm2ZgYhCpD1Tbzj!1209078788

I would be fitting 2-4 it in a loft room instead of traditional spot lights...

Provided there is enough space above the ceiling, you don't need any special items at all.

It's just a light fitting. The fact is might be marketed at commercial installations is or no relevance.
Just remember you won't be needing 20 of them in one room.

Are these better than traditional downlights?
Yes, for lots of reasons. Far more people should fit them in their homes instead of the grotty little halogen things.

Sponsored Links
Provided there is enough space above the ceiling, you don't need any special items at all.

It's just a light fitting. The fact is might be marketed at commercial installations is or no relevance.
Just remember you won't be needing 20 of them in one room.

Are these better than traditional downlights?
Yes, for lots of reasons. Far more people should fit them in their homes instead of the grotty little halogen things.

about 8 inches.... Is that enough space?

There is also insulation in that space... which I will have to move away. But it sounds easier to move insulation for four of these than where 12 spotlights are!

about 8 inches.... Is that enough space?
Obviously depends on the light fitting, but 8 inches of space should be plenty. I've fitted similar with only 6 inches of space.

How big is the room? 4 of those lights could be too many.

Ta.

The room is in a loft conversion and is about 4m by 3m.

Will I need to put in a fire hood around the light? Or any other special fittings?

This is the light I am thinking about.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/1-x-26w-h...GXlJhFwnGpwGMQJhyYVlDkmGPV26W90mGNg!178056516

2 of those lights.

No fire hood required, unless the ceiling is a fire barrier, which it almost certainly isn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back