Can I use duck tape to seal windows cheaply temporarily?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a student living in a rented apartment and there's no heating. I've bought a cheap fan heater temporarily for winter which I run whenever I get home from uni.

The main problem is the windows are very old (timber casement windows) and I can feel the draughts in the room, it makes the room have a slight chill even when the fan heater is running.

All I have in the apartment to seal them is some black duck tape. Do you think this will work? The windows are already black so I don't really think anyone would notice it too much. I'm thinking of just covering all the edges around the window.

If anyone can recommend a better solution, please do so! Cheers

Sponsored Links
It will leave a sticky residue when removed.Decent pair or curtains would be better.

The answer is yes - it will work (sort of).

May not be nice but would prevent some of the drafts.
Most likely going to leave a sticky mess that needs cleaning off when removed.

you will have to clean the surfaces first for the tape to stick

Sponsored Links
Mate of mine used to have some frames made of really thin wood covered in clear plastic sheeting that fitted in the windows. Instant, and very cheap "double glazing" for Winter.

large sheets of Bubblewrap might be a good idea if you dont mind loosing the view. Stick it up with bluetack or Scotch tape to prevent leaving marks.

Cling film held with a thin wooden frame and then use the hairdryer to stretch it :)

How much are you paying for this rented apartment?
Suggests to me that you need to have a word with your landlord, drafty & no heating is IMO unfit to live in during winter.

and complain to the landlord. I'm sure one of the basic requirements they must provide is heating for the property?

He said there's none... Surely the landlord must provide something

No, what is there at the start of the tenancy is all that matters. The landlord is not obligated to rent out a house with a heating system.

And the OP can utilise the plug sockets for his heating.

No, what is there at the start of the tenancy is all that matters. The landlord is not obligated to rent out a house with a heating system.

And the OP can utilise the plug sockets for his heating.
woodplops is bang on the money here, furthermore if I was the landlord I would be mightily peed off to find that a tenant had plastered duct tape all over the windows, you would certainly be outside of the terms of your tenancy without written permission from the landlord, I'm not sure it would actually even be possible to remove the residue without causing damage unless the windows were brand new. And even then it would be a right PITA. If the OP does not like it then he should move.

3 weeks without a murmur in reply from the OP.
Obviously not a problem to them any longer! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back