Can I use generic adhesives for EPDM roofing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In other words standard PVA and contact adhesives or should I shell out and buy my glues from the same source as the rubber?

Sponsored Links
As long as possible, I'm really asking if there's a difference between the two or are roofing companies just re-branding generic glues with their own logos?

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes:

Standard PVA, a wood glue does not stick rubber. Just because epdm glue is white, does not mean it's pva.

Contact adhesive does not roll and cover like the epdm glue.

I would use the proper stuff, it isn't that expensive. The EPDM glue I last used definitely was not the same as PVA. It was white, but that was about the only similarity.

Well considering I have lots of epdm off cuts knocking about
and a few half cans of pva left over, I decided yesterday to test weather it would stick and I have just been and checked
and its stuck solid.

Contact adhesive for round the edges and details is just that - contact adhesive.

I've no idea what is in the white water-based stuff for adhering the rest of the sheet has in it, but I have a tin at home so will read the label tonight

Well considering I have lots of epdm off cuts knocking about
and a few half cans of pva left over, I decided yesterday to test weather it would stick and I have just been and checked
and its stuck solid.
That's brilliant news.

Can you confirm if it's 12 or 13 hours of solid sticking?

Only about 175200 to go.

Decided as I was forking out £500 on parts already I may as well buy the manufacturer glue, no point getting cheap on the details.

For anyone else in the same position I'd recommend buying the dedicated stuff, I was working with Classic bond and it was a different texture and colour to normal woodworking PVA, and went off a lot faster, was much grabbier than I had anticipated.

Also for anyone doing membrane roofing for the firsdt time, don't put contact on with sponge rollers, use woollen ones as the sponge gets pulled to buggery once the contact begins to tack off.

All I can gather from my tin and from various data sheets online is that the stuff is latex-based.

I think PVA would stick it. I think the main reason for not using it is that it wouldn't allow for movement.

Yeah longevity is the issue with these kind of things, don't want to be pulling membranes off in a couple of years to re-do them....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back