Can I use heat from light bulbs for a very small toilet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I have a small toilet downstairs that is a bit cold. It's only 2m cubed.

I currently have a 11w (60w equivelent) fluoresant light in at the minute. And acording to youtube vids these heat up to about 10+ degrees C. If I left it on all day would it add even a couple of degrees heat to the room?

Does anyone know if I can get a regular low energy light bulb that adds heat.

Or am I better off just lighting candles.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone.

I currently have a 11w (60w equivelent) fluoresant light in at the minute. And acording to youtube vids these heat up to about 10+ degrees C. If I left it on all day would it add even a couple of degrees heat to the room?

Thanks.
My dad's mother used to use something like this: https://amzn.eu/d/6QiLBA2

Although as @lostinthelight said it takes energy to produce heat. That bulb I showed you is 250 watt. Will use 1 unit of electricity every 4 hours or so. Probably not the cheapest way to heat a small room if left on all day.

Sponsored Links
heat lamps guide and information

although you may be better off with something like this

I lived in fear of having to use the outside toilet at my grandparents when i was a kid. Full of spiders, their shadows barely seen beneath the gleam of a 40 watt bulb, grimy with age. Mice would scurry under the door and god only knew what lurked beyond the ceiling. Still gives me the shudders to think about it.

You want to heat a room all day for the odd few minutes you’re in there having a poop? Unless your heat source is on the floor, any heat produced by a bulb will remain at the top of the room. My suggestion is to just shît quicker. In my youth, we didn’t even have a toilet inside the house and had to go outside to shît even in the dark, in the depths of winter. Use your upstairs toilet or toughen up!
And you’ve reminded me of this:

heat lamps guide and information

although you may be better off with something like this

I lived in fear of having to use the outside toilet at my grandparents when i was a kid. Full of spiders, their shadows barely seen beneath the gleam of a 40 watt bulb, grimy with age. Mice would scurry under the door and god only knew what lurked beyond the ceiling. Still gives me the shudders to think about it.
You were mollycoddled by the sound if it :ROFLMAO: we had a tin shed at the end of the garden with a chemical toilet and lit the way with a candle in a jam jar

You were mollycoddled by the sound if it :ROFLMAO: we had a tin shed at the end of the garden with a chemical toilet and lit the way with a candle in a jam jar
Luxury...

...my great grandad had to crawl through a bed o' nettles to find cesspit at the bottom of a well, with only the beam of a glow worm to light his way. :LOL:

Jam Jar? You were lucky. We’d have loved a jam jar. We had to hold the thing in our bare hands. And if the wax burnt us we daren’t complain!

Hi everyone.

Thanks.

So your plan would be to leave the light/heat source on all day for the few minutes you might be in there? It's not even a shower/bath room. Either you don't pay electricity bills or you got more money than sense.

If your complexion is that delicate, a heated toilet seat would probably be the cheapest option. Turns on when needed, heats up quick enough that it doesn't need to be left on all day, and no concerns about burning yourself with a radiant heater in a small space either.

Unless your heat source is on the floor, any heat produced by a bulb will remain at the top of the room.
No it will not, it has been a standard method for years until central heating came in to use inferred heaters in a bathroom, it can be directed just like light, and does not heat the air, just what it is aimed at, which will of course then heat the air.

It does not say where you live, anywhere near mid Wales I have loads of old tungsten pearl bulbs, still in packets, unlikely I will ever use them all, my location is shown.

No it will not, it has been a standard method for years until central heating came in to use inferred heaters in a bathroom, it can be directed just like light, and does not heat the air, just what it is aimed at, which will of course then heat the air.
I was referring to the low wattage bulb the OP was talking about leaving on all day. We used to have a so-called 'Heat and light' bulb in our bathroom in the 70’s but I can’t say I remember it producing any noticeable heat unless you touched it!

It would help if the OP was clearer about what the need is.
you used to be able to buy “rough service” tungsten lamps at around 60w

As said, there are infra red heaters that are designed for bathrooms but no idea how quick they are.
There are also those tube heaters that consume little power and would take the chill off.
Tube heaters would be mounted low down and the heat would rise up around the user.
(but eventually just go to the ceiling)

Get a cheap wall mounted patio heater from amazon and wire it to a plug.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back