chandalier light goes dim as you add more bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help.

In my hallway I had a basic ceiling light fitting on a low power energy saving bulb. Missus got a chandalier form Wilkinson's over a year ago that I never got round to fitting until now...was a Jerrico 5 candle chandalier for £40. Each lamp holder can take up to 60W E14 SES bulbs.

I've wired it up as per Wilko instructions but everytime I add a 42W halogen candle style bulb (£1 each) the light output halves. I.e. its brightest with only 1 bulb in and as I add each one in up to the 5 they all end up with a very faint glow.

The light can be turned on/off from 2 switches.

Any idea what I've done wrong?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How many wires were there coming out of the ceiling behind the light fitting?

How many wires were there coming out of the ceiling behind the light fitting?

Hi there,

There was 1 sleeve and inside of that were 3 wires:
brown,
blue,
yellow/green.

Then there was a separate single wire dropping from the ceiling which was also a yellow/green. Seems like I had 2 earths?

The light fitting also had a brown, blue, yellow/green so I joined these up to the 3 core in a block. The light fitting also had another yellow/green (or was it green/blue?) and I joined this to the separate yellow/green hanging from the ceiling in the 4 block.

In total 4 from ceiling was joined to 4 from the light fitting, the same colours.

To rule out the light fitting, I had a 2nd chandalier that the wife bought also over a year ago for me to fit elsewhere...I wired this in the hallway and same problem. I then wired it in the landing upstairs - same problem.
I tried different bulbs just incase - same problem...bulbs keep dimming as I add one more...

So I have ruled out the bulb and 2 different chandalier being faulty.

Ps. this was an electrician's house. In the loft I have noticed some distribution boxes, they look round with 4 wire sleeves connected to them.

I am stumped.

Sponsored Links
Is this the only light on the same switch? Do you see any other lights getting brighter as you add lamps to the chandalier?

Is this the only light on the same switch? Do you see any other lights getting brighter as you add lamps to the chandalier?

There are more lights in the same gang switch.
This light can be turned on by either:

2 gang switch
- switch 1 chandalier
- switch 2 turns outside front light on (energy saving bulb)

3 gang switch
- swtich 1 chandalier
- switch 2 turns on cloak room light (energy saver)
- switch 3 turns on landing light up stairs (energy saver)

The other lights don't seem to get brighter as I add a candle bulb, no. But it's hard to tell because the other lights are energy savers and they don't really lend themselves to get even brighter imo.

I think you need to start by turning off all the other lights on these switches, one of which may have ended up being somehow connected in series with the chandelier.

With all the other stuff unlit, switch on the chandelier and see if it still behaves in the same way, also see if any other lights have come on unexpectedly. :)

I'm thinking the chandelier is wired in series by the manufacturer.
Wilkinsons may have had some returned for this very reason. Go to the store and ask if they can recall anyone bringing them back with this complaint.

I thought that at first, but it wouldn't work with just one lamp if that were the case.

It wouldn't work with anything less than it's full compliment of lamps.

I am thinking long shots here either :-

A very poor connection (eg screwed on insulation) that is high resistance that becomes more apparent as load (lamps) are added ?

or:-

You have mixed up N & E and are on a TT system ?

I am thinking long shots here either :-

A very poor connection (eg screwed on insulation) that is high resistance that becomes more apparent as load (lamps) are added ?

or:-

You have mixed up N & E and are on a TT system ?

Yes that would explain it. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back