Very dim lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought my first house [built around 1900] and the light given off by the light fittings in the living room and dining room is incredibly dim - each has a fiting with 5x 42W halogen candle light bulbs controlled by a dimmer switch [ceiling roses above the light fittings, if that makes any difference].

These rooms are approx 11ft x 11ft but even with the dimmers turned up to maximum the rooms are still very gloomy [a single 42W table lamp actually lights the rooms better]. If i turn the dimmers down to halfway or below the lights go completely out. The lighting in other rooms is fine.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I didnt think to check if lights in other rooms were still working, I'll have a look tonight.

I havent tried replacing anything yet [other than lightbulbs], just thought I'd check online first in case someones come across it before.

Some halogen lamps when run on a dimmer will degrade over time as tungsten from the filament condenses on the inside of the glass because the lamp is not running at the normal temperature. This darkens the glass and the lamp is there fore dimmer than when new. ( at normal temperature the tungsten cannot condense on the glass )

Well - I suppose it's possible that the ceiling light encloses the candle lamps in narrow tubes so as to make them project a narrow beam straight downwards.

Possible, but very unlikely IMO.

I can't think of any reasonably likely, or even pretty unlikely, environment which would make a 40W table lamp outperform a 210W halogen ceiling light.

I can't think of any reasonably likely, or even pretty unlikely, environment which would make a 40W table lamp outperform a 210W halogen ceiling light.
As bernard has suggested, 'blackened' envelopes of the lamps making up that 210W of ceiling lighting might be one possible explanation.

jsnow: have you tried putting new lamps/bulbs in th ceiling fitting?

Kind Regards, John

Take ALL the bulbs out of one dim fitting and see if the other fitting still works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back