Can I use heat from light bulbs for a very small toilet.

Sponsored Links
So, I thought... I only need about 23c to dry clothes, the central heating is about 18c, so I only need about 5c increase in a small space.

Drying clothes is a matter of some warmth, not necessarily as warm as 23C, a dry atmosphere around the clothes, and an air flow past them.

Drying clothes is a matter of some warmth, not necessarily as warm as 23C, a dry atmosphere around the clothes, and an air flow past them.
Very true, clearly at zero water starts to freeze so no amount of air blowing on them will dry clothes.

But washing on the line outside does dry at 10 degs C.

It is called relative humidity, and with the same amount of moisture in the atmosphere it varys with temperature, so what is wanted is cool air heated up.

If you get warm air cooled it will make the clothes wetter.

So you want two things, air movement and low humidity. Maybe a humidity meter is what to need to select an area which will dry clothes, but a bulb will not do much.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I didn't put specifics.
In the winter I use the toilet as a Ad Hoc airing closet. The house temp is about 18c but the washing needs to be about 23+c to dry before stink or worse, mould, or I'll be washing again.

Due to the building regs at the time you have to have the light on to run the extractor fan. So I thought rather than pay for another heating source on top of that, See if there are still heating bulbs that can work of a standard light fitting / wiring / circuit.

I've read forums where plenty seem to think 40w heating bulbs are still available, but I can't find them anywhere.
I can only find E27's and not B22's and I don't want to change fitting unless I have to.
Since the room is so small, and the differance is only 5c, according to stats, a 40w would be both safe for a standard fitting and heat a small space.
Wet washing dries by ventilation, not heat.

That's why washing lines work.

If you insist on draping wet washing in a small room, it will be intolerably damp. You can fit a small extractor fan using about 8W of electricity. This means it will run for about 120 hours on one unit (1kWh)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back