Can I use MDF for a threshold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that thresholds are usually in hardwood, but can one use MDF instead?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo the wife :D

yes if you like :cry:

why mdf why not pine!!!!!!!

youll have to machine the mdf more as it only usualy comes in sheets

dont know if you can buy them ready formed ive never seen them

Personally I wouldn't. MDF doesn't take knocks very well, particularly on the 'end grain'' if you can call it that with mdf. Also if it gets damp MDF will blow pretty quickly.

are the thresholds external or are they internal between rooms ( as in older style houses) if external , use hardwood , if internal use mdf ( or real timber) mdf is actually hardwearing and will take knocks better than timber,( high heels for example) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
are the thresholds external or are they internal between rooms ????( as in older style houses) if external , use hardwood , if internal use mdf ( or real timber) mdf is actually hardwearing and will take knocks better than timber,( high heels for example) :LOL:

Thattsss because you were thinking of high heels :LOL:

Its an external backdoor. I agree, not good idea if gets wet. Its currently there as a temporary measure......until I get some flat shoes :LOL:

The Wife

external definatly not mdf doesnt like damp
if you leave a coffee or tea cup on a untreated mdf top you will have a ring raised by about 1mm where its swollen

not quite sure what your link is showing !!!!!

is it a plastic door ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back