Can I use network cable for a phone line??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I need to move my phone socket and need about 20 meters of cable. I know it's pretty cheap anyway but I can only seem to buy it in 100m reels. But what I do have is around 100m of stranded CAT 6 cable. I can't see any reason why I couldn't use it, but I don't know for sure.

Any help would be great

Regards

Sponsored Links
Stranded cable cannot be used in IDC ( punch down ) connectors as IDC requires solid cores to make reliable joints.

Son in law works on major refurbishments of commercial properties and they use Cat 6 for virtually everything

Son in law works on major refurbishments of commercial properties and they use Cat 6 for virtually everything
Doesn't make it right though! Plus solid or stranded?

Agree with bernardgreen if you want possibility if intermittent connection problems, including crackles, use it.

Sponsored Links
Cat6 is fine for phone lines but as others have said stranded cable will not work reliablly with punchdown connections. So you would either need to ensure you use accessories with screw terminals or join on short tails of solid wire.

Thanks for all the replies. I had the house upside down yesterday so could of done it with the standard CAT 6 but taking your advise I'll get some telephone wire for next weekend and do it properly. You can probably cut it by the meter in places like B and Q but if not, for £20 I'll just buy the 100m reel.

Also while I'm posting, I found out yesterday that old wiring for storage heaters which I've removed runs from the cupboard under the stairs (where my modem is) through the cavity walls and pops out in the attic. As I'm decorating each room I'm running between 2 and 4 CAT 6 outlets in each room which at the minute are all just coiled up in the attic. Could I get (or make with my standard cable) a 10 metre cable to connect one of my LaN ports in the modem to a switch in the attic where all the rooms wired Internet access is going to be?

Thanks for all the help again.

Regards.

In principle yes.

BUT, switches, hubs and modems do sometimes have overheating problems. These problems would be made worse by placing in a loft which can get very warm in summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back