Can I use Silicone Sealant on Downlights????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've just had some downlights fitted and some of them are a not sitting flush to the ceiling, and just need some touching up. I was planning on just putting a little strip of white Silicone Sealant around the inside of the rim to help seal the gap between the lights and the ceiling. As the lights and ceiling are both white, it will diguise the gap nicely.

So the question is, is it safe to use this near the lights which will obviously get hot when in use?

Any helpful hints and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sometimes downlights don't sit right in the ceilings as there is either resistance on the cable connected or something in the way of the holding spring. So check within the void above the light for any obstructions.
I would try to steer away from the use of sealants to fix the downlight secure and maybe the holes have been cut too large and some remedial work required.
But
Depending on the type of lamps you have fitted, it will depend on what heat is being dissipated, some can get very hot, which will be an issue if using a standard sealant.
If it is impossible to rectify the problem, go for a heat resistant/retardant sealant, they are available in white and are not a great deal more expensive than a good quality silicon.

Hi, Thanks for the advice. The lights do seem to get pretty hot when on full. Which I doubt they ever will be. Is standard sealant liable to melt, smoke or burn then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back