Can I use treated sawn wood as floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some rotten floorboards in a bathroom that I am trying to replace.
I am struggling to get hold of decent t and g boards.
I got some from a reclamation yard but they seem a bit rough, I think they stored them in a puddle!

I got some sawn treated 6 x 1 inch today but it was wet.
Can I use that if I let it dry?

If not where can I get something suitable please?
I only need a few.

Sponsored Links
It depends how wet it actually is. Surface wet may not take too long. Saturated will take a very long time without the use of some form of kiln, which needs to be controllable.

You will need to let it dry out properly, but you will also have to do it in such a way that they do not warp/twist.
They need to be dried flat stacked with battens between to allow free air flow. Outdoors under shelter from rain, or in a warm dry shed with good ventilation, would work but may take quite some time to dry thoroughly because it cannot be rushed. I'm not sure, but I think, you should seal the end grain with wax or a couple of coats of paint to prevent them drying out too quick.

general comments
wood yards /timber merchants and some builders merchants will have normal sizes that are building freindly where as sheds like b&q wicks ect will be often 2-4mm different
yards can often machine easilly to your exact size but not always

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back