Can I used chipboard between floor board. Got old plank missing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per attached photos. I have to close out my first floor and got some old flooring plank missing. As the 140x18mm are very difficult to find, can I used chipboard instead and cut to size.

Is the chipboard strong enough where I have 20mm base support on the half joist?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200725_193906.jpg
    20200725_193906.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
Short answer, Yes.

Ken.

Ken, just worried where 2 boards meet on the same joist and the chipboard touches for 20mm only. Do you reckon the end is string enough and does not give up under the load when someone walk on it or weight of the bedframe?

Ok if you are concerned at the width of the bearing [20.mm ] then why not fix two bits of [say] 50.mm square timbers at the junction of the two boards? one 50.mm on each side of the joists where the boards meet?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
To be safe, just fix an extra suitable bit of timber alongside the existing one where the two boards need to overlap. Make sure it is well fixed with long screws.

Yeah, would make sense the extra bit of timber. Will get one board and have a go.

Many thanks

my thoughts
chip board needs full support on all edges to give full strength as there is no grain
where as planks have grain giving support along the fibres from joist to joist
wood from sheds seem to be nearer to 18/19mm where as builders merchants and wood yard tend to be nearer 20-21mm

As @big-all , go to a proper timber merchant not a diy shed or general builders merchant. A real timber supplier will either have your 140 x 18 on the shelf ready to go, or can rip a length of 150 x 20 down to 140 and then run it through the thicknesser to get it down to 18.

Is PSE Timber good enough? This is the only one I found in 18x144

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back