Can I vent a WC into a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have walled out the corner of a bedroom to create a toilet and now need to vent. Its against the garage so I can vent into the garage. As its not a bathroom or wetroom and its only to remove smell and not moisture can it just be vented like this or do I need to duct it through the garage to an external wall and ultimately to fresh air.
I have read the approved documents but cannot seem to find an answer and its now the weekend so I cant ring building control.

Sponsored Links
Do you want fumes from the garage getting into the bedroom ?

Backdraft shutters will reduce but not elimiante fumes going towards the bedroom when the fan is not running.

ah, good point. I hadn't considered that and any back smell would annoy me. I can duct it out but will need to fireboard round it so was just trying to avoid work if possible. I can see its necessary. Thanks for quick reply

Warm air into cold spaces = risk of condensation.

Probabably fine if the garage is quite air leaky, but not the best idea.

Sponsored Links
You would only need an intumescent collar where the duct pipe passes through the wall into the garage, and do not need to protect the whole length of the duct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back