can I waterproof plasterboard by glueing roofing felt to it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
perhaps a daft question but I note;

waterproof tile backer boards are significantly more expensive than plasterboard, and would probably be overkill to use everywhere that is going to get tiled, if the area will only receive a light splashing when in service

the waterproofing/tanking kit I have includes a membrane tape to be pasted in place and it appears (superficially) to be a strip of roofing felt

so I wonder, could I bond roofling felt to ordinary plasterboard and then tile over the top of it?

Sponsored Links
Its not something I would ever condone, it would be a bit of a risk as to whether it worked long term and that would be enough to make it a no no for me. If the areas are only infrequently likely to get splashed them MR PB should be OK. Despite what the tilers and many others would have you believe ordinary MR plasterboard is used in millions of bathrooms within shower cubicles and it survives OK.

so I wonder, could I bond roofling felt to ordinary plasterboard and then tile over the top of it?

Yes. Marley Ludlow tiles would look nice, IMO.

I'm not seeing the "significantly" more part of the equation for Hardie backer boards for a shower or bath area. If things are really that tight, I'll organise a whip round.

Erm..

Hardie/aquapanel seem to be 8 - 15 quid for a 1200x600/800/900 sheet, which is somewhere around a quarter of the size of the 2700 plasterboard that cost me a fiver a sheet..

..and i've got around 60sqm of surface to cover so crack on with that whip round, I'll let you know my paypal

Sponsored Links
So you pay £5 for a 8' X 4' plaster board, how much do the tiles and grout cost to cover that area? £10?
Frank

Well, technically it's a 9x4 sheet but that's a hair split.. One doesn't have to try very hard to get plasterboard at that money - Wickes is only £6 (so, around £2/sqm)!

Tiles vary - £5 to £30 per square metre.. If I blow all the cash on ridiculously expensive backer boards (i.e. £15 to £30/sqm), I won't be able to afford the split face tiles she wants

At least the splitface stuff saves on grout..

Plan is, for areas that get really battered like the shower, I've already got some marmox boards and I'll run them up to 1800 high (being as they're 600 wide) but there's the remaining bit at the top, and out of the drench zone (i.e. in a "light splashing" zone) that I['m looking for a more economical covering for..

Given that I've already got plenty of plasterboard and a quantity of left over roofing felt that is too short to be roof usable but would work well for e.g. the final 600mm where the steam rises/occasional splash, I wondered if I could bond it to the PB, y'see

Last edited:
If I blow all the cash on ridiculously expensive backer boards (i.e. £15 to £30/sqm), I won't be able to afford the split face tiles she wants
Oh no, I'm welling up! :cry:

60m2! Buy a smaller house FFS! Get real. :rolleyes:

Just worked it out that that's bigger than my front room, dining room, kitchen and hallway.

Lol

I think you might need a new calculator; there's over 20 sqm of wall in a bathroom that's 3x2. If youre saying 60 sqm is bigger than 4 rooms in your house, let's do the math: 60sqm divided by 2.4 ceilings is 25, so you claim 25 linear metres of wall in your 4 rooms. Divide that by 4 rooms, and again by 4 walls and you seem to be asserting that your 4 rooms have an average wall length of 1.5 metres.

You did add up the walls and not just the floor area, right?

cjard, you'll not convince us you have some kind of financial tropuble waterproofing your 60m2 of walls in your new pad.

you're right; I just hope woody's footing the bill for the hardie boards before he buys another calculator

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back