can I

No starspark1, your post's on this topic are misleading. I have not commented just because it was you that had posted, just because it was misleading! This is certainly not the first time that you have been pulled for giving out incorrect information then turning it into some sort of personal tirade! I am certainly not the only person you have done this to either! I am not the bad guy here. I'm not the one who's stalking other peoples posts. People can quite easily search mine and yours history and make up their own minds, if they could be bothered that is!

Now grow up and stop being childish. Accept you gave out misleading info and stop trying to back track and make me into the bad guy!

Sponsored Links
No starspark1, your post's on this topic are misleading. I have not commented just because it was you that had posted, just because it was misleading! This is certainly not the first time that you have been pulled for giving out incorrect information then turning it into some sort of personal tirade! I am certainly not the only person you have done this to either! I am not the bad guy here. I'm not the one who's stalking other peoples posts. People can quite easily search mine and yours history and make up their own minds, if they could be bothered that is!

Now grow up and stop being childish. Accept you gave out misleading info and stop trying to back track and make me into the bad guy!

Erm well the op didnt seem to think so and as i explained in my last point nothing i said was misleading.
So what you think is really of no concern to me.
Now if you dont mind lets leave it there and stop trying to get the last point in that IS childish and is certainly not benefitting this discussion/forum.

Yes, turn the local switch off and check there is no power using a multimeter.
With the power off set the meter to continuity and see if you have got a circuit across the stat , if water is cold you should have a closed circuit, if its ok check the resistance across the element ,you should get a reading of between 15 and 20 ohms ,depending on your element.Your thermostat may have a cut out on it also to prevent the cylinder boiling if the stat fails and this may just require resetting.
If you are in any doubt about any of this do not even attempt it!

I personally would rather see advice like this than someone suggesting poking round on a live element trying to read A live voltage, especially with a multimeter with possibly excessive exposed probes.

Why thankyou 333rocky333 nice to see some/most people are not pedantic. common sense does prevail!!!

Sponsored Links
I personally would rather see advice like this than someone suggesting poking round on a live element trying to read A live voltage, especially with a multimeter with possibly excessive exposed probes.

The op asked if he could test an element with with a miultimeter. The answer is not all tests can be done with a multimeter not yes! Do you disagree? And on another note how would you check for voltage at the element?

The only thing you can't do is test the IR of the element. If you are investigating an element not getting hot a multimeter is fine, and if you're investigating an element tripping a circuit breaker or RCD, then a multimeter will rule out everything apart from failing isulation, but will give you a good indication of whether the element requires replacement.

The op asked if he could test an element with with a miultimeter. The answer is not all tests can be done with a multimeter not yes! Do you disagree? And on another note how would you check for voltage at the element?

Wordplay simple as. On that note whats a miultimeter out of interest??I'm pretty certain you cant do any tests with one of those!!!

He didn't need to check for voltage at that point they were not even installed as previously stated and presumed correctly.

Ahhh two non pedantic people with common sense and no hidden agenda. Real people. How lovely. How refreshing.

Just let it go Vibro.

With the power off set the meter to continuity and see if you have got a circuit across the stat , if water is cold you should have a closed circuit, if its ok check the resistance across the element ,you should get a reading of between 15 and 20 ohms ,depending on your element.
with the power off set the meter to continuity and see have you got a circuit across the stat , as the water is cold you should have a closed circuit , if its ok check the resistance across the element ,you should get a reading of between 15 and 20 ohms ,depending on your element

Word for word from this, 3rd post down; http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090605141619AA651f6

to prevent the cylinder boiling if the stat fails

At least use your own wording starspark1, or just do the gentlemanly thing and provide the link! :rolleyes:

The only thing you can't do is test the IR of the element. If you are investigating an element not getting hot a multimeter is fine, and if you're investigating an element tripping a circuit breaker or RCD, then a multimeter will rule out everything apart from failing isulation, but will give you a good indication of whether the element requires replacement.

Totally agree! But to carry out all tests requires more than a multimeter. The other thing is that the first thing I would check for if coming to an immersion that was not heating would be to check for voltage. This was not stated in the step by step guide provided!

:LOL: That actually is a genuine coincidence.
I would openly post the link if i had there are many times that i have taken snippets from other sources of information on many many different things thats how you learn!!
Well written though!!
But anyway what am i doing!!! I dont have to answer to you.

The other thing is that the first thing I would check for if coming to an immersion that was not heating would be to check for voltage. This was not stated in the step by step guide provided!

For the fourth time i presumed CORRECTLY this was already done or not needed.

:LOL: That actually is a genuine coincidence.
I would openly post the link if i had there are many times that i have taken snippets from other sources of information on many many different things thats how you learn!!
Well written though!!
But anyway what am i doing!!! I dont have to answer to you.

Yeah right, real coincidence! Perhaps you can tell me next weeks lottery numbers! I suspect I won't get them off you till there printed on the net though eh!

! Perhaps you can tell me next weeks lottery numbers! I suspect I won't get them off you till there printed on the net though eh!

Why ask then?

Jesus your like a dog with a bone.

Now please as the moderator has now been involved because your baiting by being pedantic and i guess i am daft for rising to it lets leave it there and stop degrading this thread and forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back