Can I......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my Garage has got a external 16amp blue socket what we used to plug the caravan van in my question is can I extend this outlet to the front of the house without getting into a electrician in as it will not be a new circuit ? It about 20meters away the babble will be above ground in conduit, the cable I'd used is 2.5mm twin and earth as that what the electrician used in the first place when they installed it,
It has it own 16amp mcb and covered by a 30ma rcd in the consumer unit in the gaurge (is has in dp 20amp switch inline currently what I want that to stay)

Is that possible that I can it with getting part p involed or would I need an electrician to do it and get it signed off, I'm very confident with electrical work but I'd rather stay on the right side of the law for now

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The work described is not notifiable.
Even if it was, you could still do it and the notification yourself.

So it not notification then that why I thought, can I ask why it not? Strange I know but rather gather all information than a yes/no answer .... even thought the 16amp socket will be moved some distance away that doesn't matter?

Notifiable work is a consumer unit, new circuits or anything within the zones of a bathroom. None of which applies to what you are doing.

In the past, other things such as outside work and anything in a kitchen was notifiable, but those were removed in 2013. Unless you live in Wales where the previous rules still apply.

If it was notifiable, then to comply with the law you would need to notify building control before starting, typically by sending a building notice with the appropriate fee to your council's building control department. It's the same process for other notifiable works such as new windows, installing heating systems, underground drainage, building an extension and so on.

Sponsored Links
Please note that even though it is not notifiable, Part P still applies.

Is that possible that I can it with getting part p involed

Part P (in fact all of the Building Regulations) applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

Even though it is not notifiable you are still legally obliged to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Your biggest problem will be testing - how do you know that the fault loop impedance at the end of the new cable won't be too high, for example? How do you know that the RCD operates properly?

My concern is you say it was for a caravan, with caravan sites your not allowed a TN-C-S supply, so it is possible that the supply is TT to be used with the caravan, with caravan sites fire regulations mean the caravan is some distance from building, but at home often they are closer, so it is down to the electrician to decide if a TT or TN-C-S supply is used. This is selected in relation to things near it, with where my caravan is parked at my father-in-laws house the meter cupboards mean the two earth systems would be within arms length of each other so the TN-C-S system was used to the caravan.

By moving the supply you may be causing problems with the earth system, it does seem a bit odd to put twin and earth in conduit, outside the norm would be SWA, that is not saying twin and earth in conduit is wrong, the system has to be designed not simply thrown together. I had to get the electricians back to mothers house because of a twin and earth supply to the garage, now changed, electricians are like anyone else, if they have twin and earth on the van and to get correct cable they need to go back to yard there is a temptation to use wrong cable, in conduit it should not be a problem however. But if metal conduit then the earth on the conduit will need testing as well as the earth in the cable.

Since a caravan is supplied with a 25 meter cable of 2.5 mm one would expect that you could extend by 25 meters if the earth wire is 2.5 mm but with twin and earth the earth wire is only 1.5 mm.

So in conclusion it is unknown if extending the supply will cause problems or not, one would need the results of an inspection and testing, which you may have, one should have inspected and tested work as far back as I can remember, but it was only when BS7671 came out (1992) that electricians started following the regulations to the letter, for the first time electricians were tested on their knowledge of the book, before then is was unusual to see installation or minor works certificates raised, with Part P there was a further push to fill in forms and actually issue them, (2004) today one would hope no electrician would do work without inspecting and testing and issuing forms.

To be fair in the days of fuses if a circuit was a little too long then it just took a little longer to rupture the fuse with a fault, but when we moved from the humble fuse to the MCB we had something very different, the MCB is two devices in one, there is a thermal overload and a magnetic overload, for the latter to work the loop impedance needs to be below a set figure, so unlike the fuse, there is a step between tripping in 0.01 of a second and 5 seconds if the loop impedance is exceeded. So today there is a real need to test. There are some cheap testers like the EZ150 from Martindale at around £50 but these have just simple lights, so will tell you after finished if within limits or not, but will not tell you before you start if it is likely to be within the limits.

As to informing LABC before you start and paying fees, the fees when I did it were £100 plus vat plus any inspection and testing fees for first £2000 worth of work, that was 2006 likely more now, for such a simple job it would not be worth it, you would likely get the whole job done and self certified by a scheme member electrician for less than the LABC fees.

I am sure many people do work without notifying and without inspection and testing, but because you say it was a caravan supply, in your case I would be wary of doing DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back