Can main stop cock go anywhere?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a rule about where the stop cock needs to be? It's better (and cheaper in blue pipe!) for me to put it in a middle room if I'm coming in from the front (kitchen at back) - otherwise I'll have to double back from kitchen to go vertically up the centre of the house.

Is a stop cock a gate valve or a specific type of valve? Can I use a gate valve?

TY

Sponsored Links
dont use a gatevalve on mains supply, it needs to be a stopcock. as to where it is positioned, logically it should be placed as near as practi cable to the point of entry while being accessible. the more pipe you have under the floor that is on the live side of the valve leaves more pipe unable to be turned off in the event of an emergency, so it is all about risk management of what might happen

Sponsored Links
also rember it must one feeds must stright to kitchen tap

Sorry not sure what you mean here - are you saying the kitchen tap requires a direct uninterrupted feed? For both H & C? Is that a building control reg?

no just the cold feed has to go stright to kitchen tap as this cooking water and cleaning water and it is a reg
which helps us plumbers find stop tap as well

OK, but from what I've found out on this thread, the stop tap will be in another room now. :)

You'll just have to have a long run from the stopcock to the kitchen then! You need a direct mains supply to the kitchen as only a direct mains supply is classed as potable (drinking) water.

You can, however, have the stopcock pretty much where you want, bearing in mind of course what has been said about pipework on the live side. For example, new houses with unvented hot water cylinders often have the stopcock in the cylinder cupboard as this is a sensible point of entry from which to distribute water.

Yes will be a direct main supply to all sinks in fact - no header tank, have pressurised system. So the stop tap about 6m into the house in a middle room and a long run to the kitchen is more desirable than a long live main to the SC in the kitchen?

Is digging an outdoor trench around to the kitchen side of the house not an option?

But it'd only always be me looking for it - I do all my own plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back