Can my consumer unit (a fused box) afford 8.5kW Elec.shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All Very Thank you. My electrician will help me, I believe. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Fully agree with the first post.

It is possible but certain things need to checked by a competent person first.

For example, it will need to be verified that protective bonding is in place. RCD protection is certainly required for the shower circuit.

Then again RCD protection will probably be required for every circuit within your property as per BS7671. The easiest way to achieve this is by installing a new consumer units with a number of RCDs.

Although this is only necessary for the shower circuit if this is the only work being carried out.

This work is notifiable, the shower must be RCD protected and you cannot do that with your existing fuseboard.

Do not buy anything until you have talked to your electrician.

There are many things to consider, all in the interests of your personal safety.

Sponsored Links
Fully agree with the first post.

It is possible but certain things need to checked by a competent person first.

For example, it will need to be verified that protective bonding is in place. RCD protection is certainly required for the shower circuit.

Then again RCD protection will probably be required for every circuit within your property as per BS7671. The easiest way to achieve this is by installing a new consumer units with a number of RCDs.

Although this is only necessary for the shower circuit if this is the only work being carried out.

Thank you for your help. Protected bonding is also in place. But changing a consumer unit is, for me, too heavy. I just need shower.. and there are no other electrical gadgets which require huge electricity in my flat. Thanks again!

This work is notifiable, the shower must be RCD protected and you cannot do that with your existing fuseboard.

Do not buy anything until you have talked to your electrician.

There are many things to consider, all in the interests of your personal safety.

I think electrician will notify this. But why I can't connect RCD? Anyway, thank you very much!

I think electrician will notify this.
They can notify work that THEY have done - not anything which you or some other persons have done.
If you want to do this yourself, you must notify building control before any work is started. There will also be a fee to pay.

But why I can't connect RCD? Anyway, thank you very much!
There is no way to fit an RCD into that old fusebox.
The only other choice would be to fit an RCD in a separate enclosure such as that Volex one you referred to - however as that already contains an MCB, it would be connected as a totally separate unit, not connected to the old fusebox at all.

And to install one would mean isolating the supply, removing the cables that run from the meter to the existing fusebox, putting them into service connector blocks, running new cables to the old fusebox and the new unit, and then do a lot of testing.

It's not a simple DIY job.

They can notify work that THEY have done - not anything which you or some other persons have done.
If you want to do this yourself, you must notify building control before any work is started. There will also be a fee to pay.

I think it'd be better not to do this myself. But I want to know its process. I have a really bad experience that my electrician made a horrible situation. That's why ^^;

There is no way to fit an RCD into that old fusebox.
The only other choice would be to fit an RCD in a separate enclosure such as that Volex one you referred to - however as that already contains an MCB, it would be connected as a totally separate unit, not connected to the old fusebox at all.[/quote]

Ah~ I know this.. but my existing fuse is a 30A rewirable fuse which can not fit for 8.5kw shower. But as far as I know there is no 40A old style fuse. So I think electrician should replace my 30A old fuse with 40A MCB (style B) and connect 30mA RCD. But so far, no electrician (I'm contacting esome lectricians now) has said 'you need 40A fuse or MCB. This makes me nervous. And I'm still not sure 30A old fuse can be replace to 40A MCB.

It's not a simple DIY job.[/quote]

Sure! I should hire an electrician. Now I'm contacting, but electricians don't explain very clearly. And they said it'll cost around 300. Is it good??

That board can only take circuits of a maximum of 30A in most of the fuseways, the exception is the way on the right hand side of the main switch, however this appears to be already occupied with a 45A circuit (range cooker?)

Do not be tempted to fit 40A breaker into any other way, boards generally burn up when thats done :eek: . The 40A base has a key on the bottom which should prevent its use in unsuitable fuseways

That board can only take circuits of a maximum of 30A in most of the fuseways, the exception is the way on the right hand side of the main switch, however this appears to be already occupied with a 45A circuit (range cooker?)

Do not be tempted to fit 40A breaker into any other way, boards generally burn up when thats done :eek: . The 40A base has a key on the bottom which should prevent its use in unsuitable fuseways

Oh, really? then, why electricians said they can install even 9.5kW shower??? I explained my situation to them clearly... ..

I only use range cooker, not oven or hood (Does range cooker need 45A circuit?). And Really thank you for your comment!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back