Can piers be built from hollow blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wondering if piers can be built from 6 or 9inch hollow blocks or is it only limited to the 4inch solid blocks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the pier for? If its internal then presumably load bearing so hollows are no use.

If its for external then they would need rendered and hollow blocks aren't great for that.

It is for strengthening a doorway. The wall will be built with 6inch hollows filled with concrete and I would like to make the openings a tad stronger. Is there a way 6inch and 4inch blocks can be used together? i.e. mix n matched

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks Tomfe for the reply.

Out of interest I have another build where 4inch solid blocks are used on a doorway. How would you go about adding a pier to this doorway? Or should I just bolt a wooden post on either side?

Lay them flat for the door edge every other course. You could use a wooden post but block would be better. This does all depend on what you are building and if you have to build to building regs etc. If you want a smaller pier you can use bricks.
hqdefault[1].jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Tomfe. What if you wanted to strengthen an existing doorway that has been finished already but just requires "beefing up". I see those wall starter plates in toolstation/screwfix but I get the feeling im going to have to remove the door, the frame, acro prop the lintel and cut some blocks out to do what you have pictured above.

Is this a new wall? Or an existing building if so for how long?

The wall/building is 3years old. I was advised that I should have piers around the doorway so its an afterthought. The doorway is a half brick wall (4inch concrete blocks) with concrete lintel on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back