Has anyone got any brick and block pier pics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to build a pier either side of a double doorway. It is going to be a wall made from 100mm standard blocks but I was going to do the pier out of bricks and interweve it with the block work. I just wondered if anyone had a piccy of how this is done? The only reason I want to do a brick n block pier is that I think it could take up slightly less of a footprint that if I built a block pier.

Thankyou for your help

Sponsored Links
Ok so after looking about the web I couldnt find a pic of what I wanted to do. I grabbed some bricks, cut some blocks and got on with it. Can anyone tell me whether this is ok? Its not structural but I just wanted to try my hand at some fancy piers for a double doorway. By the way there is a wall tie under each building block at the pier end. I wanted to use bicks that matched in with other brickwork within the building but I have a feeling if that wasnt a concern I would of been better to use engineering bricks.

On a side note.... is it called a pier or a peer?

Attachments

• IMG-20170413-05001.jpg
    IMG-20170413-05001.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG-20170413-05002.jpg
    IMG-20170413-05002.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG-20170414-05004.jpg
    IMG-20170414-05004.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 206
That pier may be useless unless it is restrained/tied in at the other end. It probably needed to go down to a foundation too.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for the replies. The other end of the wall shall be tied into another wall using those long L brackets. I do have a slight issue of getting the mortar to adhere to the floor. It seems like a power floated, reinforced concrete floor. I did angle grind the floor paint off before starting but it just seemed too shiny and smooth to be absorbent. Im hoping once I put a lintel in place the downward force will help somewhat. Is there a product available that I can paint onto the mortar like an expoxy glue or should I have put PVA in the mortar mix? I couldnt of rebarred into the floor unless I used engineering bricks.

Where Ive put 3 bricks in the same formation on top of each other, could I have opted for two half bricks next to each other just so the design looks consistent? To me this seems like the weak point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back