Can pipes under a combi boiler be moved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a flat, which has the pictured combi boiler installed in an airing cupboard.

As shown in the photo, the installation has a large number of crossing pipes, some of which appear to go down under the floor and some of which go right to the kitchen (and towards the gas meter).

The crossing of the pipes eats up about 15cm of floor space, which makes it impossible to put an appliance (e.g. washing machine) in the cupboard, which I would like to so.

As a complete novice, could someone tell me is it possible to move these pipes with reasonable effort so I could fit an appliance underneath, or is it usually the case that pipes into the floor can't be moved without immense amounts of work?

Attachments

• 20151217_113426.jpg
    20151217_113426.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 856
Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan. Would it take much effort to have the crossing pipes moved further up so I can fit the appliance underneath? I am imagining this is a simple "cut here... weld here", or is it way more complicated than that?

** Edit **
Crossing pipes, Magna-Clean and tap moved further up (under the boiler itself), but still leaving the pipes going down into the floor.

Why not look at a shallow depth washing machine? I believe you can get them at only 400mm depth nowadays.

Ps. You didn't mention exactly what appliance you wanted to fit in but you seemed to hint at a washing machine so I went by that!

Sponsored Links
We don't know the dimensions of the area or if the appliance could be fitted facing to the right of the photo.

Certainly the Magnaclean could be moved higher up but there would be a lot of work moving a lot more pipework.

I will also suggest the less deep washing machine. I have one myself, not because I wanted it but it was being sold by a local company almost new and at a very cheap price.

That seems to me to be an easy solution.

Tony

Have you actually put your washing machine there yet? Plenty are not the full 600mm depth and it may well fit there anyway.

You could build a strong platform over the pipes at floor level, and have the two copper pipes and the two white ones moved slightly upwards, along with the Magnaclean. I wouldn't want to put a washing machine on it (because of the weight), but a tumble dryer, dishwasher or refrigerator would probably be OK.

If the platform was built of 50 mm timbers then it can be strong enough to carry a washing machine!

But merely moving the Magnaclean and selecting an appropriate model may be all that is required.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back