Can PIR range be adjusted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to fit an LED flood light with PIR similar to thee one in photo below. The PIR sensor range is 120 degrees angle and 10m. I only want to sense motion up to 5m. The light doesn't have sensitivity control. Is there any other way to reduce PIR range to 5m?

Would a black electrical tape to mask partially sensor top area work?

Thanks

Attachments

• light.jpeg
    light.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Separate PIRs often have adjustment facilities.

A cheap junk PIR integrated into an even cheaper LED light will not.

Last edited:
Do try pvc tape.
A neighbour loved my 500W PIR a bit too much so I covered part of the sensor with black tape then white so it doesn't look covered.

I found I can restrict the range by pointing them down but if yours is fixed then try a bit of white tape, to fuzzy the signal a bit. They work with a multiple-faceted lensed cover thing, so when someone approaches , focused spots of IR flicker across the sensor. It notices changes. So if you diffuse it a bit with white tape, or attenuate part of it with black, I reckon it'll be less sensitive. Leave the lower part uncovered so it still responds well close up.

Sponsored Links
Do try pvc tape.
A neighbour loved my 500W PIR a bit too much so I covered part of the sensor with black tape then white so it doesn't look covered.

I found I can restrict the range by pointing them down but if yours is fixed then try a bit of white tape, to fuzzy the signal a bit. They work with a multiple-faceted lensed cover thing, so when someone approaches , focused spots of IR flicker across the sensor. It notices changes. So if you diffuse it a bit with white tape, or attenuate part of it with black, I reckon it'll be less sensitive. Leave the lower part uncovered so it still responds well close up.
I will try the tape method.

For the same reason of neighbours and too much light, I will buy 10W Led which is like 100W and 800 Lumes, more than enough. I may even tape the led light for less illumination, they don't do less than 10W LED floodlight.

Can't find what?
That PIR has a range of either 12 or 5 meters depending on which of the supplied lenses is installed.
Yes I will buy your £70 PIR put in the front of the house and another £20 for the flood light at the back garden LOL

When I can get a decent 10W flood light with built in PIR and use masking tape and do the job for £20.

When I can get a decent 10W flood light with built in PIR and use masking tape and do the job for £20.
sorry, but probably the twelfth of never. There are two types of these products.

The ones like you have bought. They are made to the lowest price and have little flexibility. Stack 'em high and sell them cheap....
Or
Proper products that provide all sorts of customisation, over-ride, twilight detection, light output and range adjustment , and much more. These products do, naturally, carry a price to reflect the functionality.

sorry, but probably the twelfth of never. There are two types of these products.

The ones like you have bought. They are made to the lowest price and have little flexibility. Stack 'em high and sell them cheap....
Or
Proper products that provide all sorts of customisation, over-ride, twilight detection, light output and range adjustment , and much more. These products do, naturally, carry a price to reflect the functionality.
I haven't bought any product, I am still looking, don't assume, not good to assume without knowing facts.

I am looking for a 10W flood light with adjustable built in PIR motion sensor. If you can find one, send me the link
Or
forget it.

This is it:

You can adjust: ambient Lux, Sensitivity distance, Time, Brightness 3000k/4000k/5000k and Dimmable And with remote control. It does the lot.

I quite like these floodlights https://cpc.farnell.com/ledvance/4058075810938/floodlight-led-10w-3000k-wt-ip65/dp/LA06689 I prefer the warm white rather than daylight, too. Mount em high enough and you can tilt them down to restrict the beam overspill onto a road or neighbour's property.

A separate PIR is a must as the luminaire-attached ones restrict the ability to tilt the luminaire down (and still allow the PIR to see the movement area to be illuminated) and they then just throw light where it is not wanted (or needed. Some of the better separate PIRs have use/installer instructions on how to mask the lens, when required.

Many floodlight luminaires only come with a short cable length so a waterproof termination box is needed that some separate PIRs will, effectively, double up as.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back