can porous render cause internal mold on a solid brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i own a flat in a converted 1873 railway house. The walls are made of solid brick and are built with the smaller surface of the bricks, making both the internal and external wall surface. The outside has a solid render on them, possibly as old as the building itself, its been scored to look like large blocks. I'm currently experiencing really bad mould problems. I have recently had my chimney re capped and flaunched as it was leaking bad. Gutters unblocked and cracks in the render sealed. Since all this was done the problem has got worse, inline with the weather. I noticed when it rained, the worse internal effected areas were glistening wet outside, and darker. The exterior walls haven't really been seale painted since 1972. Could the walls be letting to much water in and its wicking into the interior walls? Next doors roof is knackered and potentially be a cause, and there is a little damage to the lower walls nothing excessive and hard to imagine it being rising damp. I have surveyor coming out friday as i need to get to the bottom of it. The render doesn't look blown and looks as tight to the walls as ever, are there any sealers that can be used in cold weather, to offer short term protection until next summer? Any ideas or advice would be most appreciated. The damp problems have arisen over the past 12 months, thanks Darren[/b]

Sponsored Links
can porous render cause internal mold on a solid brick wall ?

Yes if the render IS porous it can let in water which in turn will cause damp!

I have recently had my chimney re capped and flaunched as it was leaking bad. Gutters unblocked and cracks in the render sealed. Since all this was done the problem has got worse, inline with the weather

maybe these things were letting damp out and now you have trapped the damp !

all houses need ventilation make sure your windows are slightly open and air vents are unblocked, if you dry cloths on rads DONT this can cause Damp!

have you got a extractor in your bathroom and kitchen ? these really help with taking steam out at the appropriate time.

As far as moisture/water coming from the outside, usually there will be a obvious sigh such as a specific damp patch but really the best person to ask would be a independant surveyor with the right reading equipment,
I hope this helps,
Martin

I would think if you had your chimney capped youve lost a lot of air movement in the property, It would be best to get a cap that allows a lot of ventilation. Have you got any gas fires too? You may be able to treat the walls outside with water seal although Im not sure of how affective this is.

a damp external wall will also be colder, even if the damp doesn't penetrate.

The colder wall will be more vulnerable to condensation.

Sponsored Links
You're getting a surveyor on site - let him tell you what is wrong rather than get us to guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back