Can radiator brackets be rethreaded?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So being a little overzealous I over screwed one of the four radiator brackets while fitting it back on the wall.
The radiator brackets are nothing fancy. They are made of plastic.
I was curious to know whether I could re-thread it but what would I use to do this and would it work being plastic and what not ?

Sponsored Links
Plastic? Rethread? What radiator are we talking?

Is it the ones with the large screw in the centre to fix the outside fluted fitting that fits between the bars into the round back holder?? If so they're usually plastic so chances are not. You may be able to add some epoxy onto it, screw it in and then brace the rad until it sets but that's a one shot deal.

You can buy replacements of course.

th

Sponsored Links
Is it the ones with the large screw in the centre to fix the outside fluted fitting that fits between the bars into the round back holder?? If so they're usually plastic so chances are not. You may be able to add some epoxy onto it, screw it in and then brace the rad until it sets but that's a one shot deal.

You can buy replacements of course.

th

Yep that's the one.
Such a waste that I have to pay for a whole pack when it's just the one needed. Was thinking I might be able to fit an insert if I can't rethread the plastic bracket itself..?

So being a little overzealous I over screwed one of the four radiator brackets while fitting it back on the wall.
The radiator brackets are nothing fancy. They are made of plastic.
I was curious to know whether I could re-thread it but what would I use to do this and would it work being plastic and what not ?
The bracket is not threaded, you have cracked it, just leave it wont make any diffence

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
probably off no use in this situation but with casting 'thin mild steel and plastic a well-chosen wood screw will often work just dont go more than actual thread perhaps 0.4-0.6 greater than the original thread size to avoid damage

Yep that's the one.
Such a waste that I have to pay for a whole pack when it's just the one needed. Was thinking I might be able to fit an insert if I can't rethread the plastic bracket itself..?

Surely you can break a few more, to get your money's worth?

Haha thanks for commenting guys.

I think I may have stumbled across a brilliant solution to this.

Using a hollow wall anchor and the threaded screw it came with (which is smaller than the crossbolt supplied with the radiator)
I offered the anchor to the hole of the bracket arse end first because the top part of the shaft of the anchor is too wide to fit into the bracket.

Offered the bracket back to the wall and the anchor fell dead centre allowing me to feed the screw through. I put a small washer under the head of the screw to spread the pressure beforehand and to stop the head slipping through the hole where the cross bolt should go.

Hey presto --- it's pulled in nice and tight and is demountable to boot!

I'm one of those people that cannot stand wastage. I would sooner try everything else before considering buying a whole pack of those brackets only to waste 3 of them.

Sorted :)
For anyone that comes across this thread in future : try this it really does work !!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back