Can radiators be too hot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a stupid question but here goes.

Glow worm swift flow 80 in small one bed flat with three small and one large radiator.

I changed the by pass gate valve at the weekend because it was leaking. Before I put the new valve on I made sure the "gate" was at the same setting as the old valve so would let the same amount of water through.

When I fired up the system, the boiler only heated the radiators at the top before switching off, then turning on again every minute or so. I checked the flow and return pipes above the by pass valve and they were both the same temp, very hot! But the return from the radiators was pretty luke warm.

I turned the by pass valve in all the way closed, then out one turn and now all the radiators get hot all the way through very quickly and the boiler stays on for longer and doesn't cylce on/off continuously.

Firstly, is this ok? They dont have any trv's fitted and I will not be turning all the radiators off ever, so the by pass valve in my mind, isn't really a necessity.

Secondly, the radiators are now stonkingly hot! I mean I cant even touch them with my hands. I fernoxed F3 and then F1 at the weekend too so they should be clean, but is it bad to have the radiators tooooo hot!? Please don't laugh!

Sponsored Links
Have you got a thermostat or trv's?

Tried turning down the ch knob on the boiler - assuming it has one?

No it doesn't have a temp control on the boiler, its set on the PCB I think.

I dont have any TRV's just a room Stat and in the living room - the room with the biggest radiator in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back