Can room stat be fitted into a kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following some changes in a house I am working on, I have realised that there is now no room stat on the CH system. All rooms (except bathroom) have TRV.

Am I right in thinking that I need to fit a room stat to meet building regs? Do the regs specify where the thermostat has got to be fitted. Simplest for me would be in the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
No you shouldn't fit room stat in kitchen it'll be affected by cooking heat, tumble dryer (maybe) etc, Stat should be on an inside wall about 1.5 mtrs from floor, not be affected by direct sunlight, it should be in a main living room really but others may disagree, not above a tv or rad etc due to heat again, not in a room with a TRV, also building regs has no legal right in your home, if you don't want one then don't fit one, alot of people control heating with TRV's, it's up to you at the end of the day, your home your rules, also you can take of a TRV head and then it's not a TRV so you could put stat in another room, fit wireless if you can

Following some changes in a house I am working on, I have realised that there is now no room stat on the CH system. All rooms (except bathroom) have TRV.

Am I right in thinking that I need to fit a room stat to meet building regs? Do the regs specify where the thermostat has got to be fitted. Simplest for me would be in the kitchen?
You are not seriously claiming to be a RGI, are you?

it should be in a main living room really but others may disagree, not above a tv etc due to heat again,

The complete post is a pretty accurate response, if a little difficullt on the eye

However, a room star MUST NOT be in the main living room, if there is a independant fire, otherwise it is fine

Modern tv's don't generate the heat that old tube type ones did.

Sponsored Links
So there you have it: four response, five different opinions.

BTW, the answer is "no" ;) That's "no, not in the kitchen" in almost all circumstances.

Building regulations state that a home heating system should have separate heating zone controls and there should be an interlock on the boiler. Smaller homes require at least one timed zone and all zones controlled by thermostat, while larger homes require at least two timed zones and all zones controlled by thermostat. The interlock must shut off the boiler when no zone is calling for heat. In most homes the simplest way to meet those requirements is to use a room stat plus TRVs.

All TRVs and no timer does not meet the regs. One timer and no TRVs does not meet the regs. TRVs on all radiators, with or without a room stat or timer, does not meet the regs.

building regs has no legal right in your home
Oh yes they do!

Building Act 1984 Section 95 and Section 96 gives a duly authorised officer the right to enter premises to ascertain whether or not there is a contravention. The section provides for the Local Authority to obtain a warrant if entry is refused. Legal action could emanate from protracted failure to gain entry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back