Can somebody give me piece of mind re FCU and spur please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have read this sevral times but just to ensure tht I am correct please can someone confirm the following?;

I want to add some extra sockets in my garage. The problem is, the exisitng double socket is already a spur off the a main socket (the other side of the wall as it was an extension before I moved in).

I want to add some double sockets primarily to run a freezer (which will always be on) and then to run a couple of other items on an ad hoc basis e.g. tumble dryer, extension lead for power washer, xbox , tv.

Eventually I want to get it finished off into a proper utillity room at which point I will get a ring main put in by a sparky.

To tide me through, if I put a 13amp fused connection unit BEFORE the existing spur socket that has been there longer then me, am i then safe to run some extra sockets off as an interim measure?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
It will be safe, but you won't like what might happen to a 13A fuse when loaded with a freezer and a T/D....

It's possible, not certain, don't know how likely.

Why not plug a multiway trailing socket in, with a 13A fuse, run the freezer and T/D off it, and see what happens?

Sponsored Links
ban all sheds -- thanks for your advice; that method seems to be fine.

On a seperate note, will it make any difference, if i install a FSU then a double socket that will serve the tumble dryer, then another 13amp FSU before the socket that controlls the freezer or is this just a waste of time?

sorry if the question is daft :rolleyes:

Draw that on paper, and look to see which loads will have their current going through the first FCU.

tumble dryer for the first fsu (which obvioulsy wont be used at all times), then freezer on the 2nd which sadly has to swallow power 24/7

newbie alert - get what you are saying now and understand :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

many thanks ! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back