Can somebody please explain repeater bridges to me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At least I think that’s what I need. Looking for help/explanation.

Currently I have one ethernet cable in my loft solely for connecting to my cctv dvr. Wifi signal upstairs isn’t too bad but I did think of the possibilities of adding a switch so that I can drop down to the bedrooms with Ethernet at a later stage if needed. However, I have just got a bird box with a Wifi camera setup and where that needs to go the Wifi signal is pretty poor. I cannot use Ethernet on it so I was thinking I need a 'repeater bridge'. Am I correct in thinking a repeater bridge will put out a good Wifi signal in the loft area as well as allowing Ethernet cables to be run from it if needed? So it would be Ethernet cable to repeater bridge, patch cable from repeater bridge to cctv dvr and Wifi from birdbox camera to repeater bridge (as well as a better Wifi signal upstairs). Is that right? If so, will the Wifi password remain the same for the repeater of will it get its own Wifi address/password? I was hoping for just a plug and play setup. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
If you set the wifi ssid and password the same it should work OK.
I run a tp-link eap 225 on my upstairs ceiling. Floods the house with a good wifi signal including outside and the loft. You can then turn off the wifi that comes with your ISP router...
You could also consider ubiquiti wifi but they are more expensive...

Looking for help/explanation. I have just got a bird, Any recommendations?

Mottie, I didn't know you had it in you, you dirty old dog. But I have to ask, is she younger than you? I'm sure you have learnt a few tricks over the years with Mrs Mottie. (y)

Andy

If you want wireless access and a few ethernet sockets to run things off up there, then the easiest way to achieve this would be basically any old wireless router. If you go searching for "repeater bridge" you'll end up with irrelevant or overly complex answers. On your new wireless router, disable the DHCP server, give the router an IP address on your existing network, give it the same wireless settings, plug your DVR and the cable that was going to the DVR in to it and *boom* you're working.
These are some general instructions for doing this - they're pretty old but the fundamentals haven't changed:
https://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556
Should be able to do this for as little as £20, you may even have an old wireless router sat in a drawer somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Just realised, I assumed the other end of the cable going to your DVR in the loft actually connects back to your network somewhere downstairs...if that's not the case then you will need something a bit more "overly complex" than what I've suggested :)

Just realised, I assumed the other end of the cable going to your DVR in the loft actually connects back to your network somewhere downstairs...if that's not the case then you will need something a bit more "overly complex" than what I've suggested :)
Thanks. Yes, the Ethernet cable going to the loft comes from a switch downstairs which in turn is connected to my router.

Re: post #4, I have an old router but that’s way above my limited skills. I’ll probably just buy a new repeater bridge. Are they easy to set up?

I have an old router but that’s way above my limited skills. I’ll probably just buy a new repeater bridge. Are they easy to set up?

It's the same settings you need to change, whatever you use. If you've got an old router, you've already got what you need.

whats the make and model of the old router
connecting two SOHO routers together, I used to have an article on a forum on how to connect up, but its nolonger available
I use this method frequently to extend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back