Can someone help ID what this switch is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone have any idea what the function of this switch is?

Its been on the wall in my dining room since I moved in over 10yrs ago. Its been permanently painted over and switched off.

Its live as I tested it with my contactless pen tester

There's nothing above it other than a spare back bedroom.

It isnt really causing any problems but later this year Im going to strip out the room & have the walls skimmed for painting etc. So if it aint needed I would like to get rid of it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a "switched fuse connection unit"
If you want to get rid of it, the cable must be made permanently dead, it cannot be left buried in the wall, whilst live. So you require to do some investigative work to find out where it is powered from or employ an electrician to do this!

Its been on the wall in my dining room since I moved in over 10yrs ago. Its been permanently painted over and switched off. ... Its live as I tested it with my contactless pen tester ... There's nothing above it other than a spare back bedroom.
What's on the other side of the wall?

Kind Regards, John

Possibly intended for a clock, although a clock connector would be more useful. Or a high level wall mounted electric fire.

Sponsored Links
Possibly intended for a clock, although a clock connector would be more useful. Or a high level wall mounted electric fire.
Can't be certain, but it doesn't appear to have a flex outlet - in which I case I would suspect that it's hard-wired to some load (whether still present or not) - possibly, as I implied in my previous post, on the other side of the wall (fan or some such?)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks

The neighbours dining room is on the other side!

When the time comes I will get a sparky in to sort it out. Im just curious what it is/was etc.

The nearest appliance is the hot water tank gubbings in the spare room above it

The neighbours dining room is on the other side! ... When the time comes I will get a sparky in to sort it out. Im just curious what it is/was etc. ... The nearest appliance is the hot water tank gubbings in the spare room above it
Ah. I suspect that once a floorboard in that spare room is lifted, all will probably be revealed (and the means of safely getting rid of the FCU will probably become clear).

Kind Regards, John

Is next door a similar design of house then?

If so, your neighbour may know.

Yes, your neighbour may have the same thing. Looks like its in the off position? If so I guess after 10 years if you haven't needed whatever it powers you never will. Unless its for an immersian heater .

Gently scrape off the paint, remove the fuse and see what does not work. Maybe nothing if it is in the off position now.

Gently scrape off the paint, remove the fuse and see what does not work. Maybe nothing if it is in the off position now.
I don't really understand that suggestion. If the switch has been in the off position for 10 years, then removing the fuse will not result in anything (which has been working in the past 10 years) not working. There may, of course, not even be a fuse in it!

One might suggest that the OP tried switching the switch 'on' in order to see 'what happened' - but that could be dangerous!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the suggestions etc.

I do have a hot water tank in a cupboard in the room above and as far as Im aware I dont have an immersion heater. Its heated via the gas boiler and apart from the thermostat stuck on the side of the tank, there no other wires going near it (the tank).

If the switch is an immersion switch then it has to be in the dafted place for one - 4" from the ceiling in the dining room. Is there any way of telling?

I have popped the fuse cover off and there is a 13A in. I also held my breath and switched it. Nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back